Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is dsl setup once inside the house ?

Options
  • 30-06-2002 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭

Lo,

Was wondering, How is the dsl setup?

From your phone wall socket, wire goes into a splitter... then .... Cat5 cable ? to Usb modem on PC ? or is a normal phone line from the splitter to the Usb modem ?

Is it possable to use a router on Solo ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You get a new phone Box (frigging huge)
    With 2 outs on it one for phone and other for DSL
    The dsl one goes to another box beside PC with 2 outs again on it (phone and PC)
    DSL line into modem then modem into USB.

Thats the way Solo is laid out.
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

When you're ordering it tell them you want an ethernet modem.
    Then the ADSL goes from the wall via a phone connector. The other socket on the modem is an ethernet port and is connected to either your router or directly to your PC.
    Another option would be to tell them that you'll sort out your own modem. And go for an integrated Modem/Router box. These can be picked up for under 400Euros.
    Or if you have an old PC you can put 2 network cards in it and download a free software router off the internet. (http://smoothwall.org/community/home/)
    I think the only reason theres a big fuss made about the router for the Uncapped 1Meg option is that eircom probably can't imagine how 1 user conencted to 1 PC would use up all that bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I had no big new phone box installed...
    they just stuck splitters on all the phone sockets in the house and hooked the splitter in my computer room to my dsl box using normal phone connector. then they just hooked the dsl box to me computer usin usb.
    -im on vdsl in ennis.. i dont have to dial-up either... its automatically on when i hit the power switch on me computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I think the Guy who did mine was just being nice.
    i had this half assed thing running from a splitter to my PC and he replaced the cable and tacked it to the wall and did a nice neat job then installed a 2nd box beside PC for phone and DSL.

But my new main phone box is huge.
    Kdja

Advertisement