Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who makes the chips in AMD processors?

• 31-08-2001 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

Who makes the chips in AMD processors? I've just read a claim that AMD is the world's second-largest manufacturer or chips. Processors, yes, but chips???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I think that they are referring to the chips as being processors...

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

JP Simplot has got some worrying to do now! wink.gif

Yep. In this instance, chips = processors and various other one (chip) devices (like motherboard chipsets, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

So who makes their chips? (Though from the way their figures are going, looks as if they've had them.)

Well, they have a fabrication plant in Dresden? Like Intel do in Leixlip? And a processor is a type of "chip", and the former can be used as a synonym of the later?

Do you know now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

There's that factory in Dresden, Germany. makes the chips to 0.13 micron standard.
    The yank's one made the origional 0.18 micron Athlon.
    I think.
    But the Cache RAm (I'm guessing) isn't made by AMD
    They design the processors. Anyone could theoreticlly make em with the plans if they wanted. If they also happend to have a silcon doping plant handy......

• Advertisement

Well, with the Thunderbird, Duron, Morgan and Palamino cores, the cache is on die (on the chip itself). So given that AMD make the processors, they must therefore make the cache.

I think it was off-die with the original Athlon cores though (not sure).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

AMD make the chips/processors/flash memory in their various fabrication plants. Fand, explain what you mean by processor, and then what you mean by chip. Surely you meant the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Hmm, this raises an interesting question:
    Daddy or chips?

Mmmm, daddy or chips. I suppose what I'm talking about as the chip is the little dot of silicon, whereas the processor would be th'actual machine, about 2" square... hmmmm..... but maybe that's just a holder for the chip, which *is* the processor.... hmmm.... yeah, maybe. See what you mean.

No, Fand. That is the mount for the processor, but the entire package is often called the processor or chip - primarily because you get them all in one package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

ffs. when people say chip they mean silicon integrated circuit inside plastic packaging, unless they state otherwise. This is a stupid topic. go read http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm.yb?term=chip and don't post here anymore.

Btw, AMD make everything in an AMD "chip".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

i believe that AMD stands for "Advanced Micro Devices" and they make all kinds of electronic devies for all sorts of products.

But they make "chips" ie the Athlon chip and the Duron chip. they also make motherboards and have chipsets to support there own processors.

You're not the boss of me, Balfa. Or of yourself, it that's how you mind your mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Lads FFS, if you're going to be sarcastic just don't bother replying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

um, right, fand.

btw flame, AMD don't make the boards, just the chipsets smile.gif

Advertisement