Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel cpus

• 01-09-2001 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

What does the Socket 7:
    Pentium go from and up to?
    Pentium II go from and up to?
    Pentium III go from and up to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

kinda confusing.. you asking about socket 7 P1, P2 and P3 ? cos only P1 uses Socket7.

Pentium Classic Socket7 goes from 60MHz to 200MHz
    Pentium MMX Socket7 goes from 133MHz to 233MHz
    Pentium Pro Socket8 goes from 166MHz to 200MHz

P2 Slot1 from 233MHz to 450MHz

Celeron runs from 266MHz upwards, and still going, although the currently celeron-badged CPU is vastly different from the crap celeron of bygone times.

P3 Slot1 from 450MHz to 1GHz

Edit: forgot Xeons... P2X goes from 400-450 and P3X from 500 to 600 (i THINK)

[This message has been edited by Balfa (edited 01-09-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Actually, what makes the Xeon so good/expensive? super chache amounts seems to be all the difference ic an see, 2mb instead of 512 or 256...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Yep, the original P2X used the exact same "Deschutes" core as the P2, with the only difference being the cache which is much larger and twice as fast. When you consider that in normal use, the cache scores a hit 98% of the time, you can see that this would really add a huge performance boost, especially on computers the Xeon is aimed at, such as multi-user webservers and the like.

Edit: Er, i dunno about the P3X... it might be a different core. Tanner or Cascades codenames spring to mind, but i don't really know enough about it to make any guarantees smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Balfa (edited 01-09-2001).]

Advertisement