Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cable internet problem

Options
  • 30-06-2002 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I have a cable trial here and usually it works well i get download speeds of between 45.5kb/s up to 95.5kb/s but the problem is sometimes the connection dies and stops downloading or uploading usually after about a hour or more. If i restart my comp it works again but could it be my comp or the cable? Also the computer seems a bit slower to repond when in things like windows explorer or just opening folders is that because of the cable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

whats the setup?

ie - do u have a usb or ethernet cable modem?

from what provider have you gotten the service?

Is your DHCP setup configured properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

its usb and i got it from chorus. how do i tell if dhcp is set up properly i never heard of it before :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

im not sure about USb devices to be honest. if its a crap device and it may very well be it may use a lot of overhead from your system to do its work. so basically it mite be like a cable winmodem so to speak. dhcp is where it assigns itself an ip automatically. Again with a USB device i cant tell you where to look cause of the lack of experience with USB devices and the hatred for the technology :P.

Have a snoop around the software for the dhcp setup.

its probably working ok thou. id check for newer drivers for the USB cable modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

you may be getting disconnected automatically by chorus. I know in england, some isp's have a 2hour disconnect rule... so as to not use up bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

Chorus have offered me this trial as well just wondering if you had a choice between a USB or Ethernet modem?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

thats not for there broadband companies/services ,
    there are 2 hour cut off's with 56k dial in and ISDN services,
    ADSL and Cable providers are always online with no download cap

/me looks at eirom

baz

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I actualy remember people talking about this problem with chorus,
    I think that every 2 hours, chorus change the IP addresses of their cable modem users, duno why. but people have experience problems from them changing around the IP's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

It might be a memory leak in the drivers for the USB modem. Gradually, the memory gets used up stuff starts getting swapped out to disk. This would be consistant with the general slowness of the machine.

I would search on the net for "memory leak" and the model of your modem. Download the latest drives if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

i think you have a choice between usb or ethernet, but im not entirely sure they asked by phone what windows version do i have and if you say anything but 95 theyll probably use a usb so best to ask if you can use an ethernet.

Advertisement