Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romance?

• 01-07-2002 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

[off topic rant first]
    A girl told me recently that her friend was very upset with me because I didn't notice her new hair style. I did notice her left rear tyre looked a bit low but tbh, I still can't see what's different about her hair.
    I think it's unfair to expect men to notice these things. They say on seeing something/someone for the first time, three things flash though our head : "Can I eat it? Can it eat me? Can I shag it?" (Personally I think this is why sheep always look so miserable). It's built into our DNA! It's going to take a whole lot of generations to change it to : "Can I eat it? Has it changed it's hair? Has it got new shoes?".
    [/off topic rant]

What is romance? Women are always saying they want men to be romantic but, and I think I speak for all men here, I have no idea what is romantic. Is holding a door romantic or sexist? Is buying flowers romantic or suspicious? Am I completly missing the point?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

/me sits on a Greek island in the sun with a drink of iced tea beside me and thinks longingly about romance.... ahhhhhh....

It can be anything really. It is the act of making your chosen one the most special person in the world as I understand. It is lighting up her spirit to a happiness that she feels from no-one else. I did a romantic thing once apparently. I put a couple of bottles of wine into socks and tied them to fishing line - threw them into the Liffey overnight and on the next night I asked my ex girlfriend to come out with me. I said that we will go fishing. We went to seats next to the Liffey and I "caught a fish". It was very funny but great too, a lovely night. But I guess romance depends on the situation really.

Anyone got the answer/done anything romatic?

/me stumbles back in the blistering heat to rejoin the stag weekend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I found myself in the "you didnt notice my hair" predicament also some weeks ago. I however am not as sensitive as some and just shrugged the situation off with a thought of 'damn conformist bull****'.

I dunno how women expect us to be bothered with such trivia when theres

a. beer to be consumed
    b. talent on the telly
    c. friends to go out with
    d. anything remotely interesting to do

Seriously though.. women... whats that all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

i have to say really, i dont know why my gf stays around cause im a bastard, i never notice hair or clothes. i just dont notice them and even if i did i wouldnt consider it a big enough deal to complement her on it, its not like she went out, bought the material, sewed it up and made the damn trousers is it!?
    I hate going out with her, when its just the two of us, cause its boring, jesus its boring. you know when you are in the pub with a few mates and you see the poor sod sitting there with his missus, they arent talking or anything, both of them looking around to see if theres anything interesting going on cause they have nothing to say to each other. i dont want to be in that situation. i dont mind if theres a load of us going out cause then theres someone to talk to.
    I HATE the poxy phonecalls, i dont mind if she has something to say but when she just rings to "See what the story is" i mean its grand for about 6 seconds but once you both say, you do anything today? and you answer, Nah nothing much, i mean where else is there to go from there?????
    I have issues man:)

Bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

tbh romance is an art form you either have it or u dont.

imo its the ability to make a girl stop nagging and feel good about herself.

As for the hair thing well u should have noticed that like its on top of her head. like if it was near ur HEAD you would definatly notice it.

some women feel the need for romace 24/7 thats just a load of **** we need a break as well god damit.

but like its a fact you can never please a woman no matter what you do they will find something wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A girl told me recently that her friend was very upset with me because I didn't notice her new hair style

Your friend's friend sounds like a vapid idiot. Kill her, eat her and bury her. Not nessecarily in that order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Qualm

Never able to please a woman eh Kraken? Maybe that's just you! I have to say that you're statement that:
    but like its a fact you can never please a woman no matter what you do they will find something wrong with it.
    I find total BS. If you really like the girl and she really likes you, then both should be happy with what each other does. Women are not the monsterous devouring creatures you seem to be envisaging, yes, we may disapprove and nag *sometimes* but that is only to help you and us :) If you dont like the critisism given, tell the girl and discuss it. I've never really been in a relationship where the two of havent been able to say what we think and it really is the best way to go :)

I can see why some people are synical about romance, true love etc, but it is not that hard to achive. As Gordon said, romance:
    can be anything really. It is the act of making your chosen one the most special person in the world as I understand. It is lighting up her spirit to a happiness that she feels from no-one else.

I wouldn't call my other half the romantic type, but that is not to say that I feel deprived in that area. He does simple things like cooking a meal, or texting me or just showing basic respect and love for me and by thes I know he cares. I would never count "romantic" as an important trait.
    Holding a door without drawng attention to the fact that you're doing it is sweet.
    Flowers where appropriate are sweet, But tbh, I personally prefer something more personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I think this thread is drifting away from the original question. Look at the big picture. The hair is secondary in this issue, perhaps the primary reason is that she really likes you and is using the 'new hairdo' as a way of telling you.
    On being romantic, there's no top 10 romantic things. You love a girl, you do things naturally and your girlfriend finds it romantic. Another girl might think you're an eejit, which is why you're not with her. Don't try to be romantic - it should just happen, unless......

Advertisement