Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid Sky installation question

• 01-07-2002 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi all,

I want to get Sky dish installed in rented accomadation and have few questions :-)

1. Landlord is fine with it as long as the dish isn't fixed on to the wall, is it possible to attach the dish to an existing ariel?( high gain - big yoke secured on roof), or who do I ask, as the Sky forms basically allocate the installation to the local agent, whom I have no idea of/contact for, pre- signing up to the deal.

2. If the installation engineer makes a boll**s of it and breaks a tile or something while on the roof who is responsible - will they cover repair costs?

3 If I move can I take the dish with me and do I have to pay installation costs again?

Thanks for the help,

lph

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I have had a disk installed in the north and also one here in Dublin. On both occasions the installer (2 different guys) said that they would only attach to a wall because of problems with wind knocking the dishes out of line. At the same time, I have seen a post on these very boards where someone said that their installer would only put the dish on the chimney. What is for sure is that if you want something done which is non standard,ie something which requires extra gear, there will be a extra charge.Hopefully Tony will read this and come to your rescue with the actual facts on installation. What I do know for certain is that if you move you are supposed to leave the dish behind, take your STB and get a new disk installed in your new gaff. There is a charge for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by lphchild
    Hi all,

I want to get Sky dish installed in rented accomadation and have few questions :-)

1. Landlord is fine with it as long as the dish isn't fixed on to the wall, is it possible to attach the dish to an existing ariel?( high gain - big yoke secured on roof), or who do I ask, as the Sky forms basically allocate the installation to the local agent, whom I have no idea of/contact for, pre- signing up to the deal.

It si possible to clamp it to a 2 inch mast but you would not be warrantied if a storm knocks the dish off line
    [
    2. If the installation engineer makes a boll**s of it and breaks a tile or something while on the roof who is responsible - will they cover repair costs? [/B]

A roof ladder should be used to stop this happening

3 If I move can I take the dish with me and do I have to pay installation costs again?

You can take the dish with you but it's just as cheap to install a new dish, obviously you will have to pay for a re install as sky will not pay for this.

Thanks for the help,

lph [/B][/QUOTE]

Hope this helps Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

When i got mine installed he screwed it on to the back of the house (had to, to get the right direction), then went through a small hole in the vent in the eaves, up into the attic, then popped it into the socket where the tv aerial normally goes. Zooms on down right to the back of the telly. Just the four holes in the exterior wall, nice and tidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Landlord is very wary of attaching it structurally as its an old cottage and will have to be on the front(south facing), thus I said I'd take it with me when I go.. attaching it to existing ariel being the best bet a a 'temporary' install...

Are installers wary of this install -am I likely to up against resistence, or a downright no?

Cheers,

lph

Landlord is very wary of attaching it structurally as its an old cottage and will have to be on the front(south facing), thus I said I'd take it with me when I go.. attaching it to existing ariel being the best bet a a 'temporary' install...

Are installers wary of this install -am I likely to up against resistence, or a downright no?

Cheers,

lph

It's impossible to say without seeing the site

Tony

• Advertisement

Cheers Tony,

I wouldn't be charged anything if it the installation couldn't go ahead?

Thanks,

lph

Cheers Tony,

I wouldn't be charged anything if it the installation couldn't go ahead?

Thanks,

lph

Well speaking for myself I have to pay an installer for his time even if it cannot be fitted so yes there would be a callout charge. It would not be the installers fault and time is money as the saying goes.It also takes some time to order your viewing card etc. Having said that I have yet to come across a site whre some sort of solution could not be found if the the site is as u describe and there are no tree's etc you should be ok. If you really want to avoid paying anything then get sky to do it, but be warned others here have told some horror stories about these guys.

Good Luck
    Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

This is so off topic, lphchild, do you know Paul O'Sullivan ?? I work for the guy, just a weird reply off the back of that greenbacks link !!

Sorry OT-

Yup, know Sully well :-) Tell him I was asking for him!

Neil (AKA lph AKA Sonic)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dogdig

Sky's charges are standard for what they consider to be a standard installation - and that usually means dish fixed to a substantial structure such as a wall. I don't think for one minute they would attach to your existing tv aerial assembly as it would not stand up to storms etc unless the support really was man enough for the job.
    But you could ring and ask them if they will fix to a stout pole at the side of the house and see what they say. If they say maybe then you have a couple of possibilities:-
    1)a patio mount (a bit like a portable bus stop thingy) set in concrete - this might be best set up before arrival of installer and you would have to be sure the dish gets a clear view of satellite.
    (this one not recommended if you have local vandals likely to play with installation)
    2) a garden mount on a concrete linepost or fencepost or short scaffolding pole set in concrete

Will the landlord allow a wall fixing if you get him a pint and you agree to stand the cost of making good any damage during installation and when dish comes down. These dishes are quite small really and should not hurt property too much!:cool:
    When you move you can usually take dish with you and install it yourself at your new property - you dont have to get an installer if you can find the satellite. Ask Sky if you move inside a year (i.e. before the thing becomes your property)whether you can take everything with you and do a diy installation at your new place.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help Dogdig and Tony,
    Will get the landlord drunk and suggest it wouldn't be as bad as he would think to fix it to a solid structure!

Cheers,

lph

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dogdig

Spoken like a true Irishman!!:cool:

Thanks for the help Dogdig and Tony,
    Will get the landlord drunk and suggest it wouldn't be as bad as he would think to fix it to a solid structure!

Cheers,

lph

Your Welcome, enjoy the drink

Tony

Advertisement