Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sky upstairs and downstairs

• 01-07-2002 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭

okay, heres my situation.

Sky downstairs, chorus upstairs.

I would like to use the connector at the back of the sky box to send the signal upstairs to the second tv via internal house cable wiring. so that in effect i will be watchinh upstairs whatever i have tuned in downstairs.

then, i would like to be able to flick a switch and revert back to chorus. IS there such a device that would allow me to swtich, sort of like if you have 2 printers connected to the same parrallel on a pc and you switch from a to b.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭yankinlk

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/FTA.html#a63

is this the jobby i need? or something similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

No, that's for if you have two LNB's on one dish, to receive a signal from two different satellites. It won't work to switch between chorus and sky.
    Wouldn't this just require you to press the scart button twice?
    I had sky in my bedroom in my parent's house, just using the cable from the back of the digibox and a remote control recevier, it cost about 40 quid to install, worked fine, should work fine with chorus too seeing as you have to press the 'sky' button to activate it.
    You can get the gadgets from sky or from dixons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Hi yanklink,

Do you have a Chorus set-top box or is is simply a cable carrying all of the channels unscrambled? If it is the latter then simply plug the chorus cable into the aerial input on the back of the Sky box, select a frequency that is not used by Chorus, for the Sky box to broadcast on (in the installers menu 4 - 0 - 1 - Select, the RF Outputs). Once you have the house wired up from the RF outputs from the back of the digibox you should be able to watch all the chorus channels and whatever is tuned in on the sky box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

im planning on doing this too..
    but i'm gonna take the cable from the video upstairs instead
    so here's my question:
    is there any need to get a signal amplifier/booster, or will it be ok as it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by dmeehan
    im planning on doing this too..
    but i'm gonna take the cable from the video upstairs instead
    so here's my question:

Try it without an amp first , you can always add one later

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

thanks shane, no set top box, ill give that a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

You should have the added advantage of being able to record any of the Chorus channels while watching Sky, or watch chorus while recording from Sky. Basically it is the same as treating Chorus as your aerial.

I currently use a signal amplifier for my aerial to pick up the South Coast transmissions. However you probably will not need a booster between the second RF output of the Sky box/video and the other TVs.

If the picture from the video output is poor, try the digibox. You will only loose the video channel (and my video only outputs on scart so I don't care :cool: ).

shane you rock! just needed to add a cable here and there and now its working.

the only tiny glitch is that i dont get any sound via my surround system when watching chorus downstairs, it means i have to turn up the volume on the tv itself. i tried a few different ways to do it, but always same result.

my config:
    sky antennae ==> pace digibox
    chorus (curbside) ==> pace digibox

pace digibox ==>scart to tv
    pace digibox ==> scart to dvd
    rf1 ==> tv downstairs
    rf2 ==> tv upstairs
    digibox sound via red and white cable -==> surround sound
    digibox sound via optical cable ==>dvd

this gives me two choices on surround box,
    1. tv (gives me digibox sound when im watching digibox AND chorus
    2. dvd gives me dvd sound when playing dvd

3. empty sound slots (i guess cause no cable attached at vcr, 5.1 and aux)

any ideas why i can see the picture of chorus but still here the sound of digibox thru surround sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Are there any 'outs' from your television? For example, my TV has a Scart Out, which 'exports' whatever is shown on the TV at the time. You can also get a lead that has Scart at one end, and three jacks at the other. Two of these are sound, so you could connect these up to your sound system, and hey presto sound will always match what you watch. You can ignore the third (usually yellow) lead, its just the picture.

My TV also has Sound Out jacks, if yours has too, this is the easier solution.

Just thought of somethingOf course, unless your TV also has Stereo Sound (which may be why you don't use it for sound now), then you probably won't be exporting Stereo...

Advertisement