Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade question?

• 01-09-2001 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I have a P3 500
    128RAM
    TNT 2 32MB sometype RAM (not sure)
    13gb Hard Drive (No trouble plnty of space)
    DVD
    CD-RW

Now really all I was wandering what in that computer is looking for an upgrade at this day and age.. should I hold of for longer? And mabey get a GF2 for dirt cheap or by that time will GF2 just be like a TNT 2 now? C what im asking kinda?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

not that you gave mutch info but id say get a new mobo chip and another 128 of ram should cost about 200 irish in or around .. depends what you go for .

get a cheep duron and mobo

thats about what i can see you should change . your card might need a slight push off but thats ur decision

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Go for a 1GHZ Celeron , New Mobo and another 128 of RAM, and Geforce MX.

Less that £300 and a new $hit hot system.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Fairly sure you posted this a good while ago? I certainly couldn't be bothered digging up the topic. It may be possible to run a 1ghz celeron on your board, with a slotket adapter. But a 1 ghz celeron will not be twice as fast as a p3 500, since it is still running on a 100mhz bus. So if your budget extends past 250 quid, get a new socket a board,a duron 1ghz and a kyro2 based graphics card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

There's nothing there that's screaming out saying it's considerably worse than the rest... it seems like a well-balanced system. i think the first thing i'd upgrade on it would be the hard drive - but i'm a disk-space junkie smile.gif. Apart from that, you may as well leave it as is, and build a 2nd machine from scratch smile.gif

btw, i wouldn't agree with a kyro2. i think any GF2 model would be better performane/value/whatever. but gerry knows best :]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Thx lads.. and i proly did do this topic a bit back wink.gif hehe, any ways i think i might do what Balfa ses, and BALFA HALLOEEE U FEEEENN where u been? [SN]Father-Rage here m8! biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

kyro2 is far superior to a geforce2mx. If you want something better than that, get a geforce2 pro, but the price to performance ratio of the kyro2 is better if you are on a low budget.

yeah, just looked back over the tomshardware review of the hercules 4500 Kyro2, and sure enough, it's impressive... if i was looking for a mid range video card, i'd buy it purely because it's competition smile.gif

my plan is to wait for the gf3 to drop in price, but that's cos my old voodoo3 is slowing down the rest of my system.

and hey father rage, how's it going smile.gif heh, i'm not doing CS as much as i used to, but pop on netshop from time to time wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Balfa (edited 02-09-2001).]

Advertisement