Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evolution Soccer vs ISS2 (GC)

Options
  • 01-07-2002 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Alright folks,

Have been debating on whether to get a Gamecube over the past few weeks and have decided to go ahead (Smyth's seem to be doing good deals). After hearing so much about Super Monkey Ball Im thinking of getting that and something else. I was thinking of ISS2 but there has been a distinct lack of reviews plus the reviews I have seen haven't sung its praises.

So, should I wait for Pro Evolution Soccer? I played it on the PS2 and its class so a decent conversion for the GC seems likely. Does anyone have any news on when it'll be released? Dont wanna invest in ISS2 if Pro Evolution Soccer is on the way (ie. next few months). Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Pro Evolution Soccer and ISS are the same game...

Konami have 2 dev teams working on basically the same code, so they can release a game every six months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

No - GameCube ISS2 is a totally different game to Pro Evolution Soccer. I think Eurogamer.net has reviewed them both; ISS2 being the far inferior game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

So is pro evolution soccer out for the GC then?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Yeah it is I seen it in Smyths a while back when I was deciding on what console to buy. I eventually got the PS2 with Pro Evolution soccer. Would have bought the xBox but none of the shops had PES for it :(

However if you mean PES 2 then no I dont think its released on any system yet.

I think Eurogamer.net has reviewed them both
    </plug> :p

Pro Evolution Soccer (PS2) was billed as the sequal to International Superstar Soccer 2 (PS1)..

Soon after Konami (who make both games) just continued with the two dev teams. They continued making the similar games, with a very similar codebase and decided that they were going to release them every year. So therefore having an ,ISS style game, out every six months.

I've played the Jap version of Pro Evo 2 and it rocks..

With regard to platforms, and release dates- > I have no idea either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

As far as I remember, the original ISS series from the SNES continued on the N64 (which is used as the template for the current ISS versions). There were also two ISS games released on the PSX before the Pro Evo tag was introduced and it was these that were the template for the PES series.

Release dates-wise, the next version of PES comes out roughly six months after the next Winning Eleven in Japan - so we should see PES2 for Christmas.

And I wouldn't hold my breath for PES appearing on XBox or GC - its one of Sony's key exclusives at the moment.

And I wouldn't hold my breath for PES appearing on XBox or GC
    Yea, they will get ISS 3 (or whatever they replace 3 with)

As I said, its a similar base of code from the same dev studio so it will be kinda the same anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

i bought ISS with my cube, and brought it back the next day. whereas previous iss games were always amazing, this one is merely ok, and i just knew i wouldn't play it much. better to wait for the next one, says i

cube really needs a great footy game

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I thought I'd let people know how I got a copy of Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution cos there was quite a lot of interest a few months ago. I finally got it off Ebay.co.uk after much hassle including an encounter with a small shop in Hawaii. I paid €93 for the game and bout another €35 for updated data and memory pack + €15 for a freeloader.

I know many would consider me mad to have paid that much but it really seems to have been worth it. It plays superbly (i've only had it one day) and I love the updated data with all the updated major club teams as well as all national and unlocked teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

All that hassle for a gamecube game?

Why didnt you just get pro evo 3 for the pc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

a bit ot but pro evo 1 is 9.99 in smyths(limerick) at the minute if anyones missed it

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    All that hassle for a gamecube game?

Why didnt you just get pro evo 3 for the pc?

Well I wouldnt really sit three other mates around my PC playing it, plus I can play it on the 32 inch tele. I can bring it anywhere as well without the hassle.

dude do you realise how much money you have spent on what is now an out of date game?

It would be better to buy a ps2 and pro evo 3 then if thats the case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 benlowther

Winning Eleven 6 rocks! Defo the best money I've ever spent on a footie game.

Just steer clear of ISS, it's ****e.

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    dude do you realise how much money you have spent on what is now an out of date game?

It would be better to buy a ps2 and pro evo 3 then if thats the case...

I won't buy a PS2 purely out of principle. They just dont make games of the quality I've come to expect from Nintendo. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Plus because a successor comes out, it doesnt mean the game is in any way the worse for it. WE6:FE only came out in Japan and didn't reach these shores unless on import, if you've played it then you know what a class game it is. And......i can afford it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

wish i could 8(

Originally posted by anthonymcg
    I won't buy a PS2 purely out of principle. They just dont make games of the quality I've come to expect from Nintendo. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Plus because a successor comes out, it doesnt mean the game is in any way the worse for it. WE6:FE only came out in Japan and didn't reach these shores unless on import, if you've played it then you know what a class game it is. And......i can afford it at the moment.

ye thats grand. Pro evo 3 is better than it though. I have a cube too and love it. Nothing stopped me getting a ps2 for pro evo 3 and now that it hit pc, wipes EVERY single football game including WE6:FE out of the blue water it once was in...

Advertisement