Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 way Sat Internet Access for UK and Eire?

• 02-08-2001 4:44pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Crossposted to ICDG Boards:

This crowd have been advertising in Irish local papers however their site looks like it was wipped together by a 5 year old and their visitor count was like 162 when I checked. So I don't know what the story is with them but they could well be resellers of a genuine system, but theres no information available there. I might mail them and ask them what satellite and transponder it uses so I can find out exactly what service it is.

http://www.broadband-access.co.uk/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Thats an insult to 5-yr olds everywhere...

Hopefully it's true...

Al.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Looks suspiciously like the "Beam" service being talked about on the Ireland Offline forum. I love "Automatic email link" by the way, real classy. AUTOMATIC? WOW!!!

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Their site doesn't exactly inspire much confidence! I think its a "wait & see" one. The price would need to come down as well.

80p.

<A HREF="http://www.80project.com" TARGET=_blank>www.80project.com[/URL]</A>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

There are about 5 resellers of the same system.
    Beam Freenet Tiscali broadband Access.
    No prices have been set, these companies are just trying to undercut each other.
    Wait until they launch!!!

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Wait until they launch!!!</font>

How long ya think that will be?
    Looks very expensive aswell £99 a month!

God that site, no, that page is very shady, shabby scan with a bit o tip-ex.

"Automatic email link" LOL smile.gif

Gideon.

[This message has been edited by Gideon2000 (edited 02-08-2001).]

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i wouldent mind that price since its a always on connection and my phone bill for the net is over the 100 mark the hole time and if i had a connection like that i know i would b online longer . but the site dose look a bit shaby. anyone hear back from them since you sent the e-mail

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

That'll be 99 sterling, though, won't it? About 130 squids for our fair isle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Aint that very dear lads??

99 per month, now i dont mean to make ye lads that dont have cable available YET in there area, but Chorus (limerick) and NTL (were-dublin) ofering 512kps up and down for 40 quid a month and 150 once of installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

the way i look at this offer is that i pay £200 approx a month for a 56kb/s dial-up from various free providers and i could easily afford a 400/128 kb/s connection from Beam which is always on.

The price is a bit steep but it is two way satellite which is a lot better than having to send requests over ur modem to download various web pages/files etc.

anyone else have any thoughts on the viability of this offer.

• Advertisement

ye anyone find out anything since ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

that site looks fine they must have done it up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishguy:
    that site looks fine they must have done it up</font>

dont it up dosent quite describe it.
    wink.gif

it looks nice now.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

£822 for equipment and installation and £125 a months for a home user.Jeez what kind of home user is going to pay that.You may also note they make no mention of super fast connection for gamers.

Stone frown.gif

Far as I can see they make no mention of speed at all, although I seem to remember they used to. BTW, that's a placeholder domain name. They're probably selling it through several of them. I've seen "Beam" on at least one other, completely different, website.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I wonder what the ping would be like then?
    The previous posts about the one-way system mentioned 700ms pings but I think that may have been partially caused by the modem upload and partially by the atmosphere.
    If this sytem uses low-orbit satelites it should have better latency, no?
    And yes, I would go for it, if just to p1ss off Eircon. Also, I forsee that when ADSl is widely released it'll become overcrowded quickly (donkeypr0n downloads) and we'll all be on 128/32K connections eventually. Hopefully not. rolleyes.gif

i had a very nice phone call today from the company that is roling out the Beam sat inet service in ireland.

If i applied today i could have it installed as early as next friday.

Now wouldnt that be very nice.

this is the offer by the way -> http://www.broadband4uk.com/eire_pricing.shtml

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Far as I can see they make no mention of speed at all, although I seem to remember they used to.</font>

I take that back, I wasn't looking properly. I wish they'd get back to me, I'd take this service tomorrow if it appeared any way decent.

adam

right seen the offer . anyone know if i tried to connect more then 1 pc up to it at same time would it work ??? or do they have a thing to stop that ? also anyone know if there is a download or upload limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

guys, read the small print! :P

that IR£125 is excluding VAT, so the actual price will be IR£150 per month... and that's only the introductory offer... the standard rate is IR£188 ex VAT (IR£225.60 inc) per month!!!

um... add to that the IR£986.40 fee for "hardware purchase" and "installation" and i'm just laughing in disappointment. damn.

• Advertisement

Elexes, there is no download limit.

there is no restriction on services you run on the machine connected.

there is one poroblem for home users, the connection is via USB not ethernet. I have requested more infomrmation about this, so ill get back to you. Im not sure how this will work.

if anyone has tried USB networking tell us how it works etc....

i need lots of details, i want my *nix boxen to work with this service. ill write my own bloody usb driver for *nix if i have too.

[edit] dahamsta it is possibly available tommorrow. if ppl want the number for the company who are rolling out here in Ireland ill post it and a tech's name and number.
    [/edit]

[edit2]
    Daire Lowe
    Educom Micro Systems

01-8601995
    email: daire[@]educom.ie
    [/edit2]

[This message has been edited by flamegrill (edited 30-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

satellite is unplayable for games, you'll get like ping 400 inside ireland

its for heavy download-type people (alright lors!) only

£130 a month is way too espensive for satellite, especially considering you wont be able to play games AT ALL on it (400 ping)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Koopa:
    satellite is unplayable for games, you'll get like ping 400 inside ireland

its for heavy download-type people (alright lors!) only
    </font>

Previous Sat tech where you only got your download bandwidth via the satelite and your upload was over telephone lines was the kind that sucked for gameplay as far as I am aware.

The tech that beam uses (is introducing) is two way wireless Sam.

This is not my area of expertise so if I am wrong about this I would love someone to explain.

I have sent them a mail aswell purly out of curiousity and am still waiting for a reply.

It will be interesting to see what type of protocals you can/cant use.

If the bottom falls out of your world, drink Andrews and the world will fall out of your bottom!!
    games?

yes, you CAN play games on it, they will work, as such, but you WILL get minimum 400 ping on ANY satellite connect..

modem doesnt cause pings 700, in fact, ive seen modemers in quakeworld with 100 ping, solid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭acidweb

So, is anyone going to chance an arm and a leg with these guys? or are we just going to talk on this page about what we are/n't missing?

www.acid.ie

well seeing as i do hardly any heavy downloading, i doubt in going to dish out £130 a month on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 slimjimbo

Who'd want to have the brits monitoring everything they do online. echelon echelon carnivore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

high orbit (incl. geostationary) satellites will give high pings, because your radiowaves have to be bounced a huge distance up into space to them and back down to your ISP's headquarters again.

low orbit satellites will give low pings (usually under 30ms to your ISP) because everything you send has a much shorter round-trip to travel. low orbit satellites need to move much faster to stay in orbit though, so they won't hover above one point of the planet like geostationary ones do. Hence your ISP needs a crapload of satellites to keep your house always in coverage. This obviously costs a lot more.

I don't know which Beam is, but i'd reckon it's high orbit, cos that's the kinda luck we irish internet users are used to smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by acidweb:
    So, is anyone going to chance an arm and a leg with these guys?</font>

I was talking to someone from OnStar earlier on today, a very nice girl/lady by the name of Ashley. She was much more polite than the previous gobsheen I was talking to, really chatty and tried her best to explain everything. So, as I had gathered from the site, the initial investment will work out to about a grand, which is out of my league this week. However it won't be next week, and she reckons there's a five week waiting list, so unless something goes terribly, terribly wrong - which has been known to happen - I reckon I'll go for it. Who knows how long we'll be waiting for DSL?

It better be good though, or they'll be taking it all back...

adam

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">from FAQ on Beams site
    Like all GEO-based satellite technologies, there is a short delay due to the distance between the satellite and the earth. On the other hand Beam™ gains time by a significantly reduced number of hops from PC to web server. This means that when combined with the much higher speeds the user experience is much faster and more satisfying. However, some games might be sensitive to this specific satellite delay; in these rare cases the game speed will not be fully optimised despite the much faster download speeds.
    </font>

so there you have it.

Advertisement