Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Statistics

Options
  • 01-07-2002 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Irish lead way in online shopping

The Examiner's Breaking News

This I did not need, we need to get our hands on these statistics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

These figures would be/are a perfect retort to Soula Evans et al. at EirScum telling us that there is no interest in the internet among x% of adults, etc, etc. as being a perfect excuse why we have a backwater telecomms setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

I wonder how much he got paid from errcom to print that!? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The article should have read ...in the interests of accuracy!

Irish are leading purchasers of FLIGHTS and not HOLIDAYS

www.ryanair.com anybody?

we are an island , we are not ducks!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For a moment I had to check it was the 1st July, not 1st April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Muck
    The article should have read ...in the interests of accuracy!

Irish are leading purchasers of FLIGHTS and not HOLIDAYS

www.ryanair.com anybody?

we are an island , we are not ducks!

M
    Good point. I would also say that buying specific services is something that is not hugely affected by the metered nature of the Irish online experience. People generally know in advance where they want to fly to and they know to go to ryanair.com. They are aware that they can carry out the transaction in a fixed length of time.

What they lose out on is exploration, education and taking part in online communities. I would be surprised if Ireland led the way in the reading of online publications or playing of online games and general web browsing. But these surveys are usually caried on behalf of e-commerce interests and so other online activities tend to get neglected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

You can see the report here http://www.tnsofres.com/ger2002/keyfindings/index.cfm

interesting to note that 33% of the Irish who abstain from shopping on-line explain that this is for "other reasons" . The global % citing other reasons is 19%.

Could it be that lots of Irish peole are not shopping on line because they believe going online is too expensive? I note "going on line is too expensive" is not one of the reasons for abstention offered by TNS in the survey questionnaire.
    We should get them to include it next year....

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    I wonder how much he got paid from errcom to print that!? ;)

Absolutely nothing.

And your point is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

And your point is?

I think i have already made it in many other posts :D

Advertisement