Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP manual/course for download?

Options
  • 01-07-2002 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if there was a PHP manual or course available for download that someone would recommend.

I can find a fair few online manuals and tutorials but I would prefer to have one offline that I can study in my own time without clogging up the phoneline.

Also, any good *free* PHP enabled webhosts out there?

And question three: will a PHP built site constructed on a windows platform (and set to run off it with windows compatible software) run properly from a apache/mysql host? or will there be any areas that really should be avoided?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by LoLth
    Just wondering if there was a PHP manual or course available for download that someone would recommend.
    A good newbie tutorial to PHP
    PHP Manuals
    Also, any good *free* PHP enabled webhosts out there?
    I think Tripod UK supports PHP, but I don't know if they're any good or what limitations they impose.
    And question three: will a PHP built site constructed on a windows platform (and set to run off it with windows compatible software) run properly from a apache/mysql host? or will there be any areas that really should be avoided?
    PHP for Windows is CGI based (or was, I think that may have changed) - so you would get threadding problems to begin with. To be honest, if you're going to use PHP, you're best off doing so on Linux or BSD. You can still develop on Win32 as it ports rather easily, if you wish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

[ Just a couple of additions to Corinthian's post. ]

If you're concerned about download times, you'll get the manual quicker from the UK mirror. (There's an IE mirror too, but I find the UK one faster.) Also have a look at the PHP stuff on DevShed --they're a pain to browse, but they're worth the effort.

Corinthian is right, you can now run PHP as an Apache module on Win32, and it's quite stable at this stage (although he's also right that PHP is much more at home on a Linux/*BSD machine). Installation instructions are in the docs, or you can post here if you need help. The only real difference between CGI and the module is the Apache bindings for HTTP-AUTH and the like, but it may give you better compatibility for testing. And on that note, there are a few differences, such as the lack of crypt(), but a beginner shouldn't notice. When you get more experienced, you'll want to run a separate server anyway.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I find DevShed to be v.good.

Each tutorial/article now has a print friendly link that shows the whole article so there's no need to navigate 10 pages of 1 article. Handy to paste into a .txt for offline head scratching.

Also great PHP stuff at

SitePoint

plus they have great newsletters with tips and scripts etc

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

for developing php, mySQL, apache on windows you simply HAVE to get this

http://belnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/phptriad/phptriad2-2-1.exe

installs apapche, latest php, very recent release of mySQl on your windows.

your can program, test them all off-line, will port very easily over to any unix system.

simply the best download, i ever downloaded, EVER.

www.wdvl.com is always great for beginner to advanced tutorials in a lot of areas, including php, mySQL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I got a fairly decent book recently from Easons (their website tho, my local store didnt have it). Its called "PHP and MySQL from scratch". Cant remember how much it was, about €35 I think...

Anyway its basically a beginners book that teaches you how to use PHP and MySQL to build such things as shopping carts, etc.. Its quite a good book although one thing I would fault it on is that it doesnt come with a CD with the code/software on it.

Its more or less presuming that you have Red Hat Linux installed and all the latest versions of Apache, PHP, IMP, MySQL, IMAP, etc...

good book tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

http://www.spaceports.com provide :

unlimited space

up to 5 GB of transfer for your site per month

your own cgi-bin

PHP scripting

MySQL database support

helpful user forums and real-time support chat rooms

- I've not tried them yet

Advertisement