Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclock....

• 31-08-2001 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

how do you over clock a :

geforce 2 Pro 64MB DDR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 slimjimbo

You probably can't unless you can see jumpers
    on the card. If there are there is probably a
    table printed on the card showing what each
    jumper does. Fiddle around with them. As long
    as you don't see smoke you're ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

i doubt those programs would actually work, with the drivers that have it disabled.. cos all those programs do is modify some registry bits, they could easily disable all this in drivers

do a test, set your core speed to double what its meant to be, then run a game which uses the 3d card, (quake will work fine)
    if it doesnt crash, then your program isnt working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

koopa's right, you can't overclock using a twek utility if the drivers are wqhl certified. Download the non-wqhl ones. Other option is to take nvcpl.dll and nvqtwk.dll from the non-wqhl ones and copy them over the wqhl files, this will allow coolbits to work (coolbits is all you really need)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Powerstrip can overclock regardless of the drivers. It talks directly to the hardware apparently.

test it (and tell me if it works, or something)

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 31-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Ahem.

Not the best of ideas.

Better use on of the dozens of software tools used to change the core and memory clocks, like PowerStrip and Rivatuner. There's also a registry hack to gain access to such a tool within the nVidia drivers, but it's disabled in some of the later ones.

download the NON-WHQL certified drivers from the nvidia website

then run regedit.exe,
    go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global in regedit,
    right click and select "create new key",
    name this key "NVTweak" (caps are needed), right click on this new key (NVTweak) and click "create new DWORD value" , and call it "CoolBits", then double click this and enter "3" for the value.

close regedit, and reboot, next time you go to your geforce properties, look for a tab called "hardware options" , it lets you set all the overclocking stuff from there

by the way.. nvidia dont keep disabling this, as such..
    microsoft "windows hardware quality labs(WHQL)" requires that overclocking is disabled in drivers, its a stupid rule, but if nvidia want their drivers to be "WHQL Certified", they have to remove all the overclocking options.. (theres also some other ****.. like forcing vsync on in direct3d)

basically, from now on, as a rule, download NON-WHQL "certified" drivers if they are availiable in the same version number (eg. nvidia's has links to both on the download page, both are same version)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

download NVMax and set your core/memory and then click "Load at windows startup" and you're done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

No...Couldn't be arsed... smile.gif
    If you don't believe it does what it claims, fair enough, 'tis nay bother to me.
    Besides I just have a G400 here in work (Which it does work on) and use Coolbitz at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I have official supar drivers, and powerstrip works. That good enough? Games actually do run faster. On this geforce2 gts, core goes to 260 stable, however memory won't go much above 350, so its pointless overclocking the core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 m|nty

Strange Gerry, I can o/c me GTS2 mem to 410+ but the core wont go near 210 !!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

then i'd say you're luckier than gerry smile.gif in general, getting memory to run faster raises the overall performance higher than getting the core to run faster, or so i've been lead to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I can put my gts up from core 199 to 250
    And the memory from 332 to 415.
    w/o adding any more cooling what would be a safe speed for em ? Or is it, if it works its fine..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

put it up one increment at a time, and loop a Q3 demo for 8 hours. then repeat, until it crashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I reckon these cards run too hot anyway, even when not overclocked. I replaced the crappy cooler on my gf2 gts, went from around 50 degrees to 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I have it @ core 230 and memory 400, I was play'n Max Payne for a while, and these little white flashing dots started appearing... bad sign ?
    I dont have Q3 frown.gif
    But I know what ya mean, Ill get somthing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

http://www.tweakfiles.com

'Nuf said.

"And there I was, minding my own business, when the Piano came out of nowhere!"

Advertisement