Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recuring Dream

• 01-07-2002 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

How do you get rid of these things, i've had one for the last 6 months and its gone from twice a week to 4 or more times a week...I've also had recuring waking dreams of it.....

I could handle 2 of these a week but not 4 if any has any ideas on how to get rid of them let me know

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I can't see how a recuring dream in itself can do you any harm, if however it reminds you of something in your life which is a source of concern/ discomfort for you it would be best to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

It ruins a night of sleep, the subject matter is pretty disturbing, Dreams should be for my pleasure not to try shock me....

...btw; the only familiar part of the dream is the location, which has never been a source of concern/discomfort for me, and Azezil you should know better than to accuse me of not dealing with something

Originally posted by SearrarD
    and Azezil you should know better than to accuse me of not dealing with something
    you keep most stuff to yourself, thats not what i'd call dealing with it :)

Anyway, you could try to take control of the dream, I do it all the time, can be a lot of fun. (yes i'm a control freak i need to in control of my body and actions at all time even when unconscious :p)

i cant change anything, its the same damn dream, i cant do anything different

quoted from some site I've forgetten the url of

Recurrent dreams are a sign of thoughts that occupy the dreamer much, consciously or unconsciously. Such thoughts have influence on the dreams and they are often remembered better than "random" dreams since you somewhat know of their importance. Sometimes those dreams are unpleasant, a sign or symbol of some conflict situation that you still have to overcome. Ask yourself what the dream signifies - probably you can interpret it better than anybody else, since you are the one who knows yourself best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Maybe it's worth looking at your diet. I know for a fact that cheese before you go to bed gives you freaky dreams. Maybe it's the food you eat before you go asleep. I'm not accusing you of anything here, but hash, popers and other drugs effect your dreams. Just a thought.

the only way you can change your dream while you're asleep is to wake up and thats not on(takes me for ever to go back to sleep)

dreams are the best. i love dreaming i do!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Azezil, does not surprise me. But you are right we can control our dreams, but better than that, If Seaarad is having such recurring dreams whether good or bad and does not want them he/she should teach himself/herself to have normal dreams. Before one goes to sleep one can tell oneself that one is going to have a peaceful sleep and that one is not going to have a recurring dream. It may take a few days but it does work. And Azesil says we can control our dreams too, this may even be a good start because you can tell yourself before you sleep that you are going to control the dream, once in the dream you will be partially aware that it is a dream and you will control the ending which will help you to get over this problem.
    By the way, this phenonema often happens when there is a rupture in life.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Some people say that if you discuss your dream then you loose it.

i've never told any one about my dream and i'm going to....

i'll vary my diet, i dunno how but i will.....

and i'll try that positive reaction thingy and let ye know..

Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PyjamaMan

i had this recurring dream when i was a kid, we were in the cinema, and there was no movie on. The screen turned into a huge mouth, the chairs somehow vanished and the Screen started eatin me and all me mates !!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Maybe somebody is trying to tell you something but you can't hear it cos you're snoring too loudly!!!!!:D
    And as for Searrards diet, Francie you may have a point! Still eating a loaf of toast a day, Searrard?:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

what azezil has posted is correct. Dreams are there to help you cope with problems you have during the day. You may go to bed thinking about a problem, you can be sure you will dream about it even if you don't remember. Sometimes you will wake up feeling better or have the solution. This dream of yours is recuring because your unconcious in unable to come up with a solution. Do you have a problem you are trying to find an answer to??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

btw - if you are eating cheese before you go to bed, then I am here to tell you that the nightmares I had after eating some goats cheese one night in France was enough to teach me never to do that again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

You can get control of the dream. I think it's called lucid dreaming. I do it all the time. In the middle of my dream I suddenly cop on that it's a dream, and I take control, do what I wanna do. I've even decided to fly in a dream where I was just walking around a familiar area. It was great to see the place from an aerial view.

So, especially if it's a recurring dream, you should recognise it happening again, and take control. Try it.

Althuogh I've also heard that some people can't do this!! I don't know, and I'm not arséd to google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

my dreams are quite fLlcked up, i keep dreaming that i have killed someone, they are really freaky and the it doesnt seem like a dream as it feels so real, i have this dream at least twice a week and when i wake up i actually feel like i have done it.

I know how you feel sear.

I once had a dream that the red haired prince harry was trying to steal my tricolour flag which i had hanging up outside my house the day before the spanish game, anyone care to elaborate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LOUGHLIN

Cesar that is an easy one, Ireland/Spain at around the same time as the Queens whatever its called so we had both things on the tele and on the newspapers at the same time and you mixed them up in your dream.

I like the one about flying, I often dream that I can fly. The most recent time was really funny, I was flying around the place and then I saw my boss, and spoke to him, I asked him why he was not flying, he said to me "are you sure you are allowed to do that" to which I fell to earth. Flying dreams are the best dreams anyone can have, we are just so free and as Dr Loon says we can learn to control them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

you should be able to control your dreams if you try hard enough, well maybe not control exactly, but at least know in your dream that you are dreaming, maybe you could concentrate on this by setting your alarm early sometime, wake up, then set your alarm to go off every 30 minutes, then go back asleep, you will dream in this period, try and become aware of being asleep, should be easier this way than trying it in deep sleep as you are a little more awake, i am assuming the dream is something bad happening to you, and i know that fear in dreams seems quite real, until you can realise that its only a dream, i have done this and actually feel relieved in my dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ever have a dream where you suddenly kick or punch or something similar and wake yourself up?

Feckin Soccer....root of many a nights broken sleep....
    And Streetfighter2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I didn't actually know about the "eating cheese before bed" thing. I will remember that one, cheers :)

But at the moment I am having a recuring dream. This is the first time I can remember having one TBH. Ever since my mate left for Chicago 5 weeks ago yesterday, I have been having dreams of problems surrounding airports. Every time I have the dream, it's a different airport, or a different circumstance as to why I need to be there. But everytime I'm the passenger (usually travelling on my own), and something is wrong. In some cases my luggage has gone missing, or tickets, or passport, or else I've been late for the plane. The airport is always in another country, and I'm trying to make my way home. I was in Egypt with this mate of mine last February, and the day before we left, it was revealed that I had no ticked (long story). There was a mad panic, and in the end I had to travel alone, to Dublin, then to Heathrow, and meet up with my mates in Terminal 4. They were flying from Shannon. We all then continued from there to Cairo.

That is the only reasonable explanation as to why I could be having a dream such as that, but it's only been happening for the past 5 weeks. Every time I'm panicking.

Now that I write this something that I haven't thought about in a long time has come back to me. Ages ago, I'd easily say about 5-6 years. I had this dream I was in an airport and it was very quiet. The place had a very futuristic feel to it, and most of the building was made of glass. There was this kind of indigo coloured haze in the building. It was really nice, and I was attracted to it. I remember my mother and my younger brother were there too, and we all just walked around the place in silence. I can remember this dream quite vividly, not because of what I saw or heard, but how I felt. The feeling was strange because I was very happy to be where I was, even though I knew I hadn't been there before. I remember going up an escalator, and when I got to the top, everything out in front of me was black, and spacey like, and so was the walls on the left. At this point the black sections of the building were like they had all the colour textures removed, and I was staring at partial wireframe. This was the same as the wall on the left. The right, and behind me was the glass, and blue hazey effect. There was absolutely nobody else in the building, and I could hear my footsteps echo as I walked around. Suddenly this really ambient music came on, it faded in very gently, nearly unoticeable. The place was absolutely huge.

Soon after that I woke up, and I remember sitting there in my bed wanting to fall back asleep. I didn't want this feeling of immense happyness to go away, but of course it didn't work. I felt so sad, and I nearly felt like crying, and for what reason?. That was definately the strangest, and most remarkable dream I've ever had. I wish I could experience it again.

;-phobos-)

It was the premiere night for Attack of the Clones, and I was in Castlebar (wed 16th may I think). I was in the middle of my exams, and had an exam that day, and had been up all night before. After the exam I was wrecked and I went home for some kip, with the intention of going to see star wars with the lads, at midnight that night.

It was bright when I lay on the bed @ around 7pm, and I left the curtains wide open in my room. I fell asleep very quick, and started dreaming. I was in a place that was about 2miles the Galway side of Headford (a place I would have often passed on my way to Castlebar). I was standing at the top of a hill looking down on a small town and a petrol station. The petrol station is what gave away the location to me, because the angle and distance from where I was standing was very precise. I walked down the hill, and all of a sudden I was back in my room in Castlebar asleep on my bed. It was dark and I could see myself lying on my bed asleep. The curtains were wide open and it was dark outside. I walked over to the window, and I could see kids playing on the street, and everybody in the housing estate seemed to be outside enjoying themselves like it was broad daylight on a sunny day or something. I felt like I couldnt join them, like an outcast or something, and stayed observing from the bedroom window. I walked downstairs in the house and all of a sudden I was back near the petrol station just outside of headford. I saw a large tent, that had people selling various things in it, like pirated music, and mirrors hanging on the sides. As I passed the mirrors I noticed what I was wearing. It was the exact same clothes that I fell asleep in. Everybody seemed busy and didn't take much notice of me.

Then all of a sudden I woke up. Here is the strange part, it was dark outside, and when I got up off the bed I was freaked to see that there were kids outside playing football on the street, and everything looked the exact same (apart from everybody in the estate being outside). When I opened my eyes, it was like I knew it was going to be dark, before I woke up, and the time didn't seem like an issue to me. It was like I knew exacly what time it was, without looking at a clock/watch. It was kind of like my mind kept track of my surrounding (visually) while I was asleep without me having to intervene, and record with my eyes.

I went downstairs and told one of the girls, who said she had only checked on my about 30mins earlier and I was fast asleep. Very strange and interesting dream. The only reasoning I can suggest regarding that one would be that I often have a tendency to try and visualise things from other people's perspective (visually). An example would be if a few of us would be in a room talking, it wouldn't be uncommon for me to try and see myself through the eyes of someone else in the room. It would like viewing from a different angle. I find myself doing it in the cinema quite a lot, where I try to visualise what the projection looks like from another seat in the theare without actually moving there. It's a strange habbit I know, but I'm usually pretty accurate.

People will probably read that last part and think I'm gone mad, but TBH, sometimes in my dreams I feel like people see me that way. It's weird.

Dreaming is a very powerful thing, and something that we cannot yet fully explain.

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Ever have a dream where you suddenly kick or punch or something similar and wake yourself up?

Err... sort of. Around a year ago, I remember I did something really werd as I woke up.
    At that time, I had my bed against a wall, one of the thick hard supporting ones. (as opposed to a light plasterboard thing :)) I remember on two mornings, I was woken up with the feeling that I'm being sort of driven into the wall, head first - I woke up with a sore head, or what felt like it.
    I remember waking up, and then suddenly moving my body sharply to the left - *thud* - ow, and I fell backwards, rubbed the head and wondered what the hell just happened. The second time, I knew what I was doing halfway through it and was thinking "no no no noee" *thud* :)

Just reading over this, I realise how bloody weird that is. :)

I'd love to know if I actually did smack my head off the wall though...

phaxx, something similar happens to me all the time. Since I have been doing a lot of moving around (over the past few years), I find myself sleeping in many places in short spaces of time, often not leaving me enough time to store my sleeping environment subconciously. Many times I have woken to find myself staring at the wall about 6" from my face. I'd freak because I thought the bed was against the wall on the other side of the room, and expected to be looking at the room, instead of the wall (have I lost anyone there :rolleyes: ). Anyway it's a feeling like I'm in a very enclosed space, until I completely wake up, and realise where I am. It wrecks me head, TBH :mad:

Another which was really funny and only happened in the last week, was when I asked my mother to give me a shout after a wee bit of kip I needed badly. Anyway she came in to my room to find me lying there with my eyes open, and asked me did I want some coffee. I replied with "Coffee!, I can't drink coffee, the virus destroyed all that?. Where did you get it from?". Why is arm hurting, Oh it's because it was coded in C++". I rambed on for another bit, and apparently completely lost my mother, who knew at this point I was still asleep. Anyway a few seconds later, I started to wake up, and thought to myself "S H I T E!!", what have I just being saying. My mother was in stitches laughing nevertheless, and told me the whole thing.

Kids beware your activities will end up warping your subconcious, there is no escape ;)

;-phobos-)

I truly love those flying dreams :) I remember one in particular where I was running through a forest of trees at about 60mph, I see the forest stops up ahead and there's a cliff, I simply run off the edge and begin to fly about. It's quite fascinating if you think about it!

I had a very weird sleeping pattern for about 4 years after I saw Gremlins (I was like 8 years old!). I woke up at exactly 3am every morning in a sweat :(

The worst is when you're having a nightmare and you know you're dreaming but you can do fup all about it. And if ever I drown in a dream, I usually wake up with my head smothered in the pillow. This is not good because on more than one occassion, I've nearly suffocated :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Some of my dreams are starting to disturb me. Twice last week I had dreams about the day ahead, and the things that happened in my dream actually happened on the following day. One dream was getting a puncture in my van, and thats exactly what happened .... another one was going to the graveyard to see my grandparents tombstone.... the next day, My ma suggested we go out to see the grave (I was not there in over 2 years).

Well, there the only 2 dreams I can remember about the future, but generally nearly every morning, I wake up after having a dream of work. I wake up all stressed and anxious.. which aint exactly the best start of the day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LOUGHLIN

DO not worry about that - that is something that does happen - sometimes we hear people chatting but do not listen but our inner brain has taken it iin an at night we dream about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

"And if ever I drown in a dream, I usually wake up with my head smothered in the pillow. This is not good because on more than one occassion, I've nearly suffocated "

Fidelis, your brain doesn't try to kill you like that. Its most likely the reverse which is happening - you've rolled into a dangerous position which is suffocating you and your brain triggers a nightmare to help wake you up and warn you.

Lots of people are going on about how dreams connect with the real world in so many ways. Its a myth that your dreams would be disconnected from the real world. Its all got to do with things that have been happening. For example phobos hearing the people outside - the information is flowing into your head, its no wonder you brain makes use of it. Most people wake up every morning to the minute, and lots of people can accurately tell the time without looking at a clock - the brain does loads of work that you don't (need to) know about. I'm just saying what every one knows, but repeating it to make sure the obviousness of it all doesn't make it go hidden when people try to find answers.

To attempt some pop-phsycology, Loughlins dream sounds very like the boss is always spoiling his fun and he probably doesn't like the power he holds over him.

I don't think people should attempt to control their dreams like some are saying. Its a natural brain function, you should give it its full 8 hour sleep cycle and not fVck about and get the best results out of your head. Lots of neurobiologists are suggesting this is very important; recent report notes that the last 2 hours in an 8 hour cycle seem to be crucial for filing away learned information during the night - when it strengthens the axioms on the cells - in other words committs the knowledge to memory.

What you should do is just listen to the dream. If you don't know what it means take 5 minutes to randomly sift through your memory and see what the hell it might have to do with - your brain will probably select the appropriate topic fairly quickly. Thats my opinion on it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I remember having a recurring dream when I was about 7...for about 2 months I dreamt I was running away from tha gardaí. I'd be running down a long pathway and they'd be following me in a car with the sirens going...eventually one day, I stopped running and they arrested me. And then the dreams stopped.

From about 11, I've always realised when Im having dreams, and I stretch the dream world to any state I see fit. (which recently is, me being in a huge blitzball sphere)

ah dreams are brill alright, once ya know how to control em ;)
    ...I also hear that nicotene patches give you mental dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

i dont remember my dreams when i wake up any more,i think my concious and subconcious are probally estranged from one another and they probally only comminicate by leaving each other post-it notes on the way out like "your dinners in the fridge"/"dont forget to breathe"/"try and remember to wake up when your done screwing around" to one another.
    Most of the reoccuring dreams that i did have showed what contempt my subconsious held for my concious that it chose to comminicate in the most heavy handed symbolism that it could think of.
    For Example ... Im in a department store elevator with my girlfriend,the door opens and she gets out but i cant get past the other people in the elevator i stay in the elevator and get out on the next level,i go to look for her but by the time i get to the level she was on she is on another level,so i go to that level but shes gone to another level,ad infinitum
    In the end,during one of those dreams my consious interjected with a terse "yes i get it thank you" after that those kind of dreams stopped.

Advertisement