Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem problems

• 31-08-2001 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I'm having problems install an internal 56k ambient modem. I'm sure I got the right drivers off the net. I tried it on all the com ports but when I go to diagnostics, click on the com port I install it on and then go to "more info" I get the following errors: Com 1 and 2: The modem failed to respond. Make sure it is properly connected and turned on. If it is an internal modem or is connected, verify that the interrupt for the port is properly set."
    Coms 3 and 4: "Couldn't open port".
    OS is win95.
    Any1 have any ideas, help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

i've had these kind of problems before (not the EXACT same tho)

try this... it might work

unistalled the modem and remove it from the the computer. then reboot and install the software. shut down, reinstall (phsicaly) the modem and go through the process again.

also make sure there is no other modem software on the machine i.e. old drivers and crap.

hope that helps

j

"Why not put the match in a shark tank, with real live sharks, hungry sharks, and the only way to beat your
    opponent is to stuff them down a shark's throat and pin a shark".
    -Kurt Angle to Lilian Garcia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The modem shouldn't be showing up as a comport. It's internal so it's use of a com port is effectively virtual. Many drivers will create or just grab the resources for an existing port, but this is not what you test to see if it's working. Basically forget comports for the mo. Check Device manager and make sure the modem driver is installed without conflict. If it is use diagnostics in the Control Panel / Modem applet to test the modem specifically, not a port.
    If it's still failing, remove the modem drivers, all com ports, reboot and disable either internal serial ports or set both to the same IRQ (Eg. Com1+3 or 2+4). Boot back into windows and reinstall the modem

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 31-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The modem shouldn't be showing up as a comport.</font>
    What do u mean? The modem had to be on one of the com ports right?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If it is use diagnostics in the Control Panel / Modem applet to test the modem specifically, not a port. </font>
    The only way to test the modem specifically is by click on the com port it's installed on and then click 'more info', is it not?
    Also which com port should I install it on? When I go to modems in control panel and add a modem it asks which com port. Now the strange thing is that they're 2 com1s and two com2s. I've tried removing the ports and rebooting but they come back.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If it's still failing, remove the modem drivers, all com ports, reboot and disable either internal serial ports or set both to the same IRQ (Eg. Com1+3 or 2+4). Boot back into windows and reinstall the modem </font>
    How do I set them to the same IRQ? In the porperties of the port in device manager is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Go to Device Manager first and nuke any other modems showing up. (You can get to DM by right-clicking on My Computer and then choosing it from the box that comes up.) Now restart.

Then go toStart/Settings/Control Panels/Modem and choose the modem you're installing. It'll look for drivers; direct it to your CD.

Oh, yeah, and if your CD has one of those irritating drivers that thinks it's Win95 on floppies, direct it to the Windows 95 folder on the CD, then choose Disk 1; when it asks for Disk 2, *go back* to Windows 95 on the CD again and choose Disk 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

With respect to all other posters.

1: Right click my computer left click properties and modems - there remove anything in modems and reboot ok?
    2: On reboot you should get one of two things a message telling you it is installing new
    hadware or two an add new hardware wizard.
    3: If none of these things happen on boot then do one or both of the following . 1st try to goto safe mode if you can , try repedly tapping F8 just after your machine posts or gives that beep when you turn it on, then select safe mode from the list of options ok? Now repeat step 1 in safe mode ok so try to find any ghosts in safe mode right?
    If on reboot your machine does not pick up the modem then power down the machine and open it up ok? Earth yourself on a part of the metal case right? Unscrew the modem yeah remove it and then reinsert it so that none of the metal teeth can be seen above the slot right? Now if on boot to windows you don't get an add new hardware wizard you should try a different pci slot ok? If you are sure the modem is seated correctly and windows is not picking up the modem you could as a last resort try deleting the pci bus ok? This will put you in the position of installing about 10 devices but may also find your modem assuming it works, this should not be a problem though if you just remember that for every device other then the modem you are trying to install every file it is trying to find will be in c:\windows , c:\windows\system or c:\windows\system32 or c:\windows\inf ok?
    good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by Patrick:

What do u mean? The modem had to be on one of the com ports right?

It uses a comport, but is not really ON a comport. It creates it's own virtual port, so even though it may add com-x to the list this is not what you test as it's kind've a null device. It should show up as Modem-xxxx on com-x in mode properties and this is what you test, if you just see com-x then the modem isnt loaded properly

The only way to test the modem specifically is by click on the com port it's installed on and then click 'more info', is it not?
    Also which com port should I install it on? When I go to modems in control panel and add a modem it asks which com port. Now the strange thing is that they're 2 com1s and two com2s. I've tried removing the ports and rebooting but they come back.

You shouln't add it manually. Modem installations are very annoying really because of the comport thing. The system should detect the hardware and assign a comport itself. If after removing everything from ports and modems and rebooting it does not detect the modem, then go to add new hardware and let it autoscan.
    Some modems need to detect and install the virtual com port first and then on a second scan detects the modem (my old USR 56k internal used to do this).
    Check to see if there are jumpers on your modem to let you select the com port, most likely not so you will have no direct say in what is allocated to it.

How do I set them to the same IRQ? In the porperties of the port in device manager is it?
    Set the comports in your BIOS first, device manager will just echo these settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Kind of a pain in the **** , I know, but I bet you wouldn't have this problem if you weren't using 95. I've had bloody loads of mysterious problem installing modems on 95 boxes.

Something else you could try checking is your IRQs in the BIOS... Also, using Device Manager, make sure you've got no hardware resource conflicts.

If you can, install '98, 2000 or at least 95b.

HTH,
    -Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

Advertisement