Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini-disk question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I am selling a Sharp MD-MT877H(S). It doesn't has netMD but has MDLP and Optical Line In and more, check it out at the for sale section of this web site.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59705.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

looks like i was pretty wrong in my last post, turns out the local shop was selling the mz505 for 300 yoyos (it's only $149 on sonystyle.com ffs)
    looks like i'll be bumming someones credit card after all:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If I'm bootlegging with a mic, I'll more than likely need a tie-clip one (nice and discrete). Can "good quality microphone" and "tie-clip" exist in the same sentence? :)

If so, where is the best place to get a good one?

- Dave.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

if you downloaded a tune [non copyrighted 1] could you transfer it to ur md player or will the software stop u??

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

if you downloaded a tune [non copyrighted 1] could you transfer it to ur md player or will the software stop u??

The software will not stop you. There is however a limit to the amount of times you can upload each track to your netmd. As mentioned earlier this limit is 3!

I would recommend them, the interface is quality, and they're hella quicker then the old play/record. I use the full compression method, and *I* haven’t noticed any difference in quality.

It is really irritating that you cant upload at all though :/ I like to practice playing/singing and listening back over. But i cant upload what I've recorded to the pc through the USB cable. Ya have to play/record. This of course also applies to all songs on the netmd, whether copyrighted or not...

10/10 for the idea 6/10 for the implementation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Picked up the MZ-707 Model. Haven't had much time to play round with it but managed to upload a few mp3's to an MD using L2 compression. Sound is great. Haven't had a chance to mess about with L4 comperssion yet so I can't comment on the sound quality there. Software is a bit flakey but can live with that just as long as at the end of the day I can transfer MP3's to it.

Read some place that the Real One Player supports upload NetMD's. Anyone had a chance to play round with that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gelmir

If I add an mp3 header to a .dat file could I use NET MD to transfer it to MD and then could I upload the file to another PC via analogue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

If I add an mp3 header to a .dat file could I use NET MD to transfer it to MD and then could I upload the file to another PC via analogue?

Not a chance. It's a pity, actually we could look all futuristic going around with mini-cds with data on them....

But the reason is there is no way to upload via analogue to the PC (except by playing the song) and since a .dat file won't play it's not possible. Also, the song have to be converted into the correct format before being downloaded onto the mini-disc - a .dat file won't convert (even many mp3s with ID3 tags won't convert which is annoying)

As for copying directly from CD to the Mini Disc, it is possible, but you need a program called "simple burner". If you want this program you'll have to contact me as Sony have removed it from their site for some reason...

My personal opinion on the system is that if you pay €350+ for it you should have no restrictions, and be aware that it's only 1.8 X speed for stereo. The converting takes far too long AND IMO defeats the purpose of the system to an extent...</rant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

forgive the noob question, but is all minidisk media rewriteable?
    just got my hands on about 20 pre used ones:D
    (now all i need is a minidisk player:( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by tman
    forgive the noob question, but is all minidisk media rewriteable?
    just got my hands on about 20 pre used ones:D
    (now all i need is a minidisk player:( )
    [/QUOTE

yep they are re-usable... while they're based on the same principle as standard cds, the storage is done via a laser demagnetizing a portion of the disc as opposed to creating/burning a pit on the surface as with conventional cds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Connect the cable from your pc out put to the mini discs input and play the song in the pc and press record in your mini disc , Make sure your pc volume is not at max , you have to listen to the whole song though since u need to stop it in the end , although u can get winamp plug-ins which tend to give a 5 second break betweens songs and so the mini disc divides the songs itself , well now a days you can get Net mds , with usb ports .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

http://opennmd.monochromatic.net/

Opensource version of the client software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by SyxPak
    http://opennmd.monochromatic.net/

Opensource version of the client software.

That site seems to be down?

I use an old sharp MD and record on to it and off from it, in analogue in real time. Which is a pain but it works, theres no restrictions and the sound quality is fine. My MD doesn't have LP so its not an option for me. I use MatchJuke box or Winamp and it puts in the breaks on the songs automatically. If I had a digital out I wouldn't have to set the sound levels but my sound card doesn't have one. I find it great for recording old concerts and stuff from the video/TV. My video has a stereo out so the quality is decent. The whole process is kinda time consuming but no more than it used to be with cassettes.

Do other non Sony Net MD recorders have the same limitations? Personally I think the whole copy protection is a joke when theres no protection at all against analogue copying. They'll never be able to stop that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I bought the 710 from Argos' new catalogue on Saturday, it's been reduced by €80 to €249 (and that's still around 20-30 cheaper than Currys) and gives 86 hours playback with dual battery usage (rechargeable and/or dry).

It comes with the crappy SonicStage software, I'm having lots of copyright problems with tracks that I've MP3d from my own CDs so not that happy with it - this is separate from the check in/out 3 times thing (one HD copy and three MD copies) - so I did some looking online for alternatives - you can use Nero and Simple Burner as described here:

http://www.minidisct.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4825

John.
    --
    http://www.macalester.edu/~nfagerlund/tlb/nmd-use.html
    http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/paolose/instructions.htm
    http://www.minidisc.org/

Advertisement