Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Paralysis

Options
  • 02-07-2002 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

I have bouts of this strange thing - anyone else out there experience it, dealt with it?

Dizz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

I used to get it a bit when I was a teenager,
    then someone told me what it was,
    and I was fine after that.

If it happens, your brain is consious so in theory you should be able to talk yourself through it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

What's strange is that unlike you I have only recently (bout 6 months ago) began so have it and I'm 25! They say it's possible to control the paralysis and so actually enhance your deams! ie see what you are dreaming as hypnagogic/hypnopompic halucinations are common with SP, though presumably the evidence is anecdotal. It's gotta be the freakiest thing though! Sometimes I'm often paralysed by an intense buzzing/ringing noise and the complete inability to move, though now I can quickly enough get out of that state, especilally if my gf is sleeping with me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i get that every now and then, usally for a few nights at a time

i just try to imagine myself shaking my head or moving violently and it goes away...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

cloest i got to this was when i got up one morning to turn off the alarm my arm felt a bit odd - when i moved it up it went down, when i went to move it left it went right and visa versa, this lasted for about 10 seconds but was very strange indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I remember this happened to me when i was little, it really freaked me out. In ancient times, people used to think they're being possessed by demons when sleep paralysis takes over. In recent years, people (mostly americans) think they're being abducted by aliens. So I guess it happens a lot and doesn't really do you any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

So that's what that is! Man that freaked me out for ages! Gone now though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

things could be worse, sleep terror disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ooh ooh, I have this (of sorts). (didn't realise this was common and that there was a name for it)

Damned annoying too.

Wake up around five in the morning with a burning desire to go to the toilet. Sometimes takes two hours before I can actually get out of bed.

The solution I tried was to go to bed later and later (so that I'm so wrecked I sleep in till morning). not a good solution obviously but it does seem to have made a difference now that I'm usually going to bed at a normal hour.

Found out from this link that it's often associated with narcolepsy, which I did suffer from for a long time - often falling asleep in the middle of a sentence. Bah. Hasn't happened in years (and I did always get that relaxed feeling for a few minutes before so I'm not a danger to anyone while driving)

Further research is in order. I'll get back here with what I can find from Anne's nursing and medicine books.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I find sleeping on my side or stomach solved this. I used to have it fairly regularly. (Sorry I only saw this post now)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Happened to me once.
    I woke up and could not move even though i really wanted to.
    Then i realised i didnt care and went back to sleep.

I was not at home so that might have contributed to it.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    things could be worse, sleep terror disorder.

Assuming we are thinking of the same thing, i used to get it ALL the time. Thankfully now it happens only very rarely, as it really was a bitch.

Parasomnia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes it happened to me a few times... i actually posted a big thing on it once... all about how this normal bodily function is what causes the Alien Abduction or demon possesion feeling! You are unable to move and have no physical control but your mind is still in a dream like state so it imagines these other things sometimes etc etc... fairly straight forward... its harmless though just relax and you will come out of it... only thing is one time i woke and was unable to move but when the feeling came back my leg was arseways and was very sore hehe...

Advertisement