Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vampyre brings bad news

Options
  • 02-07-2002 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

The ODTR directive is exclusively voice traffic. It is not going to provide the mechanism for FRIACO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Well, that's nice.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Yes, utterly peachy. I can't count the number of times eircom have explained to me that they only guarentee voice traffic. Data is not actually an obligation. To invert that logic then why can't data be provided in the same generous yet uncaring not guarenteed manner by an olo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Hmm... Data isn't an obligation to Eircom? I wonder why the hell this is called 'The Information Age' then! :mad:

::cools off:: Getting back to the point...
    Imho, I think Eircom should move with the times... This is the 21st century, not the 20th... The internet has become a very important and essential resource around the world and basic flat-rate should be considered a right for any country. If you don't have basic flat-rate, as some people have mentioned before... A country could (and would) fall behind technologically, as well as being considered a laughing stock, since everyone else has it... Even worse, it could effect a foreign companies judgement in setting up shop here. I actually hear from someone ages ago (it may be a tad inaccurate) but I think we asked Micro$oft if they could host their servers here, and not surprisingly, they said no.

Do Eircom/The Government really want to stunt our growth and cut off business ventures by not supplying basic-flat rate?
    If they don't, why aren't they doing anything?

Sooner or later, one way or another, no one will want to setup company operations in Ireland, due to it being too expensive. And all it would take to reverse that is a basic flat-rate package. is that so much to ask, considering it could:

Create new jobs (through telemarketing and people working from home)
    Reduce Vehicle pollution (people working from home)
    and finally,
    Get more people on the internet, since it would be more affordable.

Now, I'm sure there are many more reasons that people can list, but in general a lot of good has come from a country having flat-rate. Can Eircom really afford not to give us flat-rate?

Anyone want to give some thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Not sure about the MS thing but I think it went like this. Government ecstatic to have MS here. Eircom do not have and refuse to provide adequate facilities. MS walk. Government thinks this is sad but insoluble.
    I agree the net is now almost a basic right. Nobody charges you per page of a newspaper. Since that varies from day to day. I know of a small business here who could so benefit from a website and email enquires but as finance pinches she can't afford to. It is representitive of the fact our government truly do not even pretend to do the right thing for the suckers who elected them and pay them huge amounts of dosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by vampyre
    Not sure about the MS thing but I think it went like this. Government ecstatic to have MS here. Eircom do not have and refuse to provide adequate facilities. MS walk. Government thinks this is sad but insoluble.

It was a function of the lack of deregulation alright, but the main issue was that MS insist on a number of Infrastructure providers to provide bandwidth, ie they wouldn't put all their eggs in one basket..
    I think Eircoms publihed pricing was only up to a max of 2megs as well t the time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Most of MIcrosofts servers for EMEA are now based in an €ircon managed facility with about 800meg/sec of bandwith in and out of the buiding. I'm not 100% on the suppliers of that bandwith but I don't think it is all €ircon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by MrEnvy
    Most of MIcrosofts servers for EMEA are now based in an €ircon managed facility with about 800meg/sec of bandwith in and out of the buiding. I'm not 100% on the suppliers of that bandwith but I don't think it is all €ircon.
    Unless M$ have changed their policies, it can't all be Eircom...
    There was a lot of disinformation spread around about the original M$ decision, but the reasons I gave came (indirectly) from I guy I use to work with who had moved to M$'s NOC

Advertisement