Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Optiplex CD Drivers?!???

• 02-07-2002 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I have gotten my hands on a Dell Optiplex GX1. As machines go it's pretty sucky, so I want to install DOS on it but I am unable to find any CD-ROM driver for it. Dells support site sucked (nothing there).

Is there anyway I can find out what drive type it is so I can find the drivers, or are there generic drivers out there that should work? It's doing my head in. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

afaik DOS using the generic mscdex driver, try searching for that either on the web or on a win95/98 CD. Probably involes some autoexec.bat/config.sys trickery to get it running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

you need a driver, and mscdex, which as its name suggests, extends dos to allow it work with cdroms.

The generic driver on the win98 bootdisks/cdrom works fine. oakcdrom.sys it be called.

I can't seem to dig up a config.sys or autoexec.bat here, but to the best of my memory it goes something like:

in config.sys

devicehigh=c:\oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd000

then in autoexec.bat

lh c:\mscdex.exe /d:mscd000

I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Doesn't support the oaksys either :( Are there any others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

hmmm, try setting the first boot to cd and inserting the Win98 cd(bootable), this will get you into dos with cd support and if it does then you can just use the cd driver that the bootable cd uses.(maybe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...this?

http://www.bootdisk.com/readme.htm#cdromdos

It's a program that will automagically set up generic CD-ROM drivers for DOS for you (i.e. set up AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS and copy in the relevant driver files).

Also, maybe you should pop the lid off the PC to see what make and model the CD-ROM drive is? (I think it's a Samsung CD-148C that went in those things, but...) You could then go and get a relevant targeted CD-ROM driver for it...

Gadget

• Advertisement
Advertisement