Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows - What's the Network Password?!?

• 02-07-2002 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Having just recently installed Windows 2000 Pro on one Pc (A decision I'm living to regret...), if I try to access it from the other Pc (running Windows 98) it asks for a network password.

Thing is, there are no passwords set on the Pc I'm trying to connect to!

Does anyone have any experience/ideas with this, please? It's driving me mad...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Whats your login for th 2k machine if theres no password you need to just type in the username to access it. What type of error message do tou get when you try to access the 2k machine, is it password incorrect.

Also is the drive shared on the network and have you the additional file sharing settings adhered to....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Hi bazH,

I tried all possible passwords that are usually used, usernames, no passwords - still nothing. The attached image is what pops up when I enter "\\Bosley\" in Start -> Run. All I ever get is "The password is incorrect. Try again."

All the drives are shared. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You'll need to firstly log onto the 98 machine.
    When the network login box comes up on 98 type in something for the username and password (whatever you want).
    Then create a user account on the 2K machine with that username/password and it should work.

This site is good for networking info:

http://www.wown.com/

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    You'll need to firstly log onto the 98 machine.
    When the network login box comes up on 98 type in something for the username and password (whatever you want).
    Then create a user account on the 2K machine with that username/password and it should work.

Yes, I logged onto the 2000 machine then the 98 machine with exactly the same username (no password), and Start -> Run -> "\\Bosley\" worked. But, 5 mins later, it's giving me the "The network name cannot be found" error message :rolleyes:

I tried setting up an account on the 2000 machine and then connecting, but to no avail.

AND, I can't see the 98 Pc in Network Neighbourhood. *Sigh* I'm switching over to Linux... :)

Are both pcs on the same workgroup etc?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    Are both pcs on the same workgroup etc?

No, the 98 one is on a different workgroup (connected to a Wireless node a few km away); the 2000 on a different one as well.

Did you take a look at that site I posted before? Getting 98-2K sharing is pretty straightforward, all the info's on that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Hi Magic Monkey,

firstly i advise you use the search option as this is not the first time this question has been asked and answered.

I assume you are getting the IPC$ box?

2 things.. make sure the guest account is enabled on the win2k machine.. also add the username/password of the windows 98 machine into the user group (admin is best) on the win2k machine.. should sort it out for you.. its a typical problem

hmm just now looked at your screenshot.. as i thought its the IPC$ password... so do as i said and it should be sorted!

oops sorry i must have missed the post saying you tried that... If you cant actually see the other pc in network neighbourhood.. try searching for it... remember it may not show up by double clicking network neighbourhood.. you need to go for computers near me.. but if its not seen.. is the 98 machine seeing the win2k machine? could be ip address.. if you have it set to dhcp then set your own ip address.. something like 10.0.2.1 and 10.0.2.2 and the same subnet mask obviously... and obviously make sure they have the same workgroup set up.

Oh by the way you did say you set up an account.. did you do as i suggested and set it to admin? If not it wont work... thats what the IPC$ is for.. its telling you the 2k system is logged in as admin so you need admin rights to connect.. well as far as i know thats what it means... but either way you need admin rights to connect.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help fellas, I'll try to get the problem resolved and report back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Easiest way (but not the most secure) is to enable the Guest account on the 2K machine. But if it's connected to the internet, for christ's sake, put a decent password on it.

Got it working; thanks for all the help y'all! :D

Advertisement