Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was Robbie Keane right to reject Sunderland offer?

• 02-07-2002 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Lets face it Robbie's on fire, Sunderland are muppets and they hardly look likely to turn it around any time soon.

Was Robbie Keane right to reject Sunderland offer? 16 votes

Of course! They're rubbish and he was one of the top scorers in the world cup
    0% 0 votes
    Damn fool! He can't even get his game with Leeds and the new manager's gonna give him a free transfer
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

only just heard about this now.
    He was stupid to turn down the move, unless theres something better coming along. Hes going to be warming the bench at leeds for the next season - or at least wont be guarenteed of a start every week.

At Sunderland he could partner a striker that could teach him a thing or two about taking chances when they come, be guarenteed a starting place and also have the backup of quinny (isnt he coaching there now?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Think he shoulda gone, don't like the atmosphere @ Leeds now.

Mebe he's got another offer on the sly?

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

IMO he is better than Smith and the fat Ozzie and I think he knows that he is and is hoping the new manager sees it too.

He might as well wait and see who the new manager is and have a chat with him. If the new man says he doesnt think he will be first choice then he can talk to Sunderland. Theres no point in going to a club who will struggling again this season until he knows whats happening at Leeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

I think he did the right thing. I'd tip sunderland to go down this season and he needs to stay in the premier league.
    I don't see him forcing Kevin philips out of the team and i can't see the two of them plaing along side each other for any prolonged period of time. Ried seems to favour the idea of "little and large" (he bought Lilian Laslandes to try to replace quinners, but he turned out to be a bag o) so he will probably buy another big man.

Somewhere like spurs would be the ideal move for him. A team with a bunch of aging strikers.

He may as well wait and see what the new manager thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Sunderland are a club on the wane, they had one of the worst records in the league post christmas...

Them and Fullham are my outsiders for relegation next year..

Dead cert Reid does not make it to christmas and I have put my money on that at my local bookies at 4-1 :)

• Advertisement

I'd go along with that. I had money on O'Leary but he peaked to soon, fecker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Why Would he bother going to a club thats a dead cert to get relegated next year,especially when there's talk of Mc Carthy taking over.

I couldnt agree more with Bucks on his day Robbie is far Better than any other striker at leeds and that includes robbie fowler
    whos a better finisher but hasnt the same all round game and team play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

At Leeds Viduka is always going to be first choice so for Robbie to get a good bit of game he needs to be better than Robbie Fowler, Smith and a fit again Bridges. I think he can hold off Smith whos a little tinker but Fowler has the edge on him with experience and Bridges can be one of the best strikers in the premiership if he stays fit (anyone rember his first season with Leeds?), i think Robbie's right to wait til a new Manager comes along but one (or two?) of that pool of Strikers is gonna go and I don't see it being Viduka (unless someone bids £20mil again) or Fowler. He can do better than Sunderland but I think it's time for him to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Any team that has Phil Babb as a defensive mainstay gets my vote for relegation.

Leeds have one of the most talented natural strikers in the premiership and would be mad to let him go. Only two players scored against O.K. in the world cup and the other was Ronaldo. Think that says something about his calibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

I think he's dead right to stay at Leeds,
    He's only a young lad, and already he's been at Wolves, Coventry, Inter and Leeds. Thats 4 clubs already and I doubt he wants to get the reputation of being a Journey Man.

If he can prove himself to the new manager, whomever that may be, then i think he's got a great chance of gettin into the First team there, especially if the rumours that Viduka could be on the way out of Elland Road are true.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sposs

I couldnt agree more with Bucks on his day Robbie is far Better than any other striker at leeds and that includes robbie fowler
    whos a better finisher but hasnt the same all round game and team play.

Fowler is the most natural stiker in the premiership (and i'm Man u to bejesus) Fowlers problem is he's diffucult to play alongside.

Robbie Keane is not better than him, his alround game lacks consistency, it would seem that 3 goals in the world cup (one a peno) has elevated him to the class of ronaldo:
    Only two players .... ...... other was Ronaldo. Think that says something about his calibre.

..... seriously. Rose tinted glasses...

He's good, but he's not world class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He should have gone, in fact he should have kissed Peter Reids
    ass because one way or another Leeds want rid of him to raise money, so if he still ends up at the Stadium of Light he'll not be
    their with the right background ambience (if you see what I mean!), Reid and others might view Robbie as a bit bolshie
    for a player with such a patchy career.

Anyway I reckon Sunderland is excactly the sort of club that Keane needs to re-establish himself, he could be an instant hero if he scores on a regular basis so bannishing worries about relegation by Christmas.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Any team that has Phil Babb as a defensive mainstay gets my vote for relegation

Lack of confidence was Phil Babbs problem, He had a great season at Sporting and turned down the chance to play in the Champions League to jion Sunderland. I hope for his and Ireland's sake that he has a good season..... Ireland needs a left back and he'll do the job.

I think Robbie should have gone to Sunderland, cos he get first team football everyweek... and with fowler and Viduka in the team he wont get that.

As the thebhoy said he probably doesnt want to be the journey man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox

Lack of confidence was Phil Babbs problem,

Lack of talent is Babb's problem. Paul McGrath (for one single match) made Babb's career and he's been living off it ever since. If you've ever seen a Liverpool match you'll know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

If he is so crap then why has he had so many international caps and played for so many big clubs...

He's not Paul McGrath, but he's no Mark kennedy either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by Pigman

Lack of talent is Babb's problem. Paul McGrath (for one single match) made Babb's career and he's been living off it ever since. If you've ever seen a Liverpool match you'll know what I mean.

I far as I can remember Phil Babb made his name at Coventry, which made his career...

he was voted the best defender in Portugal last season....

Advertisement