Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest Rock band of the past 10 years

Options
  • 02-07-2002 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

I'm not talking about influential. I'm talking about putting bums on seats. Who do you think is the BIGGEST?

Biggest Rock band of the past 10 years? 38 votes

Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    0% 0 votes
    U2
    5% 2 votes
    Oasis
    57% 22 votes
    REM
    15% 6 votes
    Radiohead
    5% 2 votes
    other
    15% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Dunno, but im sure there are figures available if its simply biggest tours. U2 or the Chillies probably. It couldnt be Radiohead or Oasis since they were still playing clubs when the bigger bands were doing stadiums.

Its probably none of the above and somene like Garth Brooks or Celine Dion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Its prolly Rolling Stones tbh

The stones didnt tour as much over the 90's afaik. I think the Vodoo Lounge (that what it was called wasnt it?) tour was the only one they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

from given list gotta go with U2 on this one, huge international fanbase, broad appeal, my mum likes them so does my hid brother.. at the moment though Radiohead is probably bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

i think TAD were pretty big :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Stones toured for Bridges to Babylon, I think that was the 90s, but I've gone for the Manics, real rock bands don't put bums on seats, they put bodies flying through the air! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Well REM sold a whole pile of albums in the 90's thogh...there 1st 3 albums for waners sold about 30 milion albums altoghther so you really can't get much bigger than that....

And remember U2 suffered something of slump in the middle of decade...

1. this is about tours not albums
    2. 10 million albums isnt much (3/30=10)

" i think TAD were pretty big "

what ever happened to tad anyway??

Id say all round U2 were the biggest with rem in decline towards the end of the 90s.The chillis came and went and came again.The Navarro years werent very sucessful.Id say radiohead could be called the pink floyd of the 90s,as they were as sucessful as could be without being commercial
    my pain and sadness is more sad and painful than yours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

U2 probably. REM's sales went down after Monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Originally posted by josco da walrus
    " i think TAD were pretty big "

what ever happened to tad anyway??

hyper-obesity i think :D
    any band with a 300lb+ singer has to be big :D

forgive my ignorance, but who are TAD?

I`ve gotta say that OASIS are prolly the better band up there(yes better than u2) U2 made more money. The rolling stones toured the most, and TAD, well wtf are TAD. Radiohead i wouldn`t count as a great band either, Oasis new album - Heaten Chemistry is execellent.....

i can see flaming ahoy on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭quinta

Oh please, and you're right Flame Ahoy, Oasis are absolute tripe, they regurgitate the same crap time after time album after album. They haven't got a single bit of inspiration or inventiveness between them. Same old same old it's been done, move on guys.
    They play the same chords, same damn riffs, they are a three chord trick gone wrong .....

Well hello Damon Albarn,

have a listen to the new album when you get the chance.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Hmmm, a tough one. U2 imo followed closely by REM.

Pigman, are you still attending the poll posters anonymous meetings? ;)

Originally posted by quinta
    Oh please, and you're right Flame Ahoy, Oasis are absolute tripe, they regurgitate the same crap time after time album after album. They haven't got a single bit of inspiration or inventiveness between them. Same old same old it's been done, move on guys.
    They play the same chords, same damn riffs, they are a three chord trick gone wrong .....

I agree with most of that, however i still quite like em :)

They do the same thing over and over, but like Aerosmith, they do it bloody well:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by Kolodny
    Pigman, are you still attending the poll posters anonymous meetings? ;)

'fraid not Kolodny. I got banned from attending after I pulled my pole out in mid-conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

U2 were unquestionably the "biggest" band through the 90s. Even when their songs were, eh, sometimes questionable (half of Pop, even the bits that weren't influenced by the Cure and Radiohead) they managed to put bums on seats to look at a large toothpick (and have a SImpsons appearance, not that that matters a damn)

I'll put my hand up as another one who likes most of the new Oasis album (professional critics can bite me). Concerts, hmmm. I've only seen them twice - the first time was supporting REM at Slane where at least there was some interaction with the crowd. Went to see them last Friday. Song performance was perfect, concert was good, forgot even to say "hello" to the wet people in the crowd (or anything else come to think of it) - not too impressed with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement