Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Hard Drive question

• 02-09-2001 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

Just a quick hard driver question

Can you switch hard drives between computers without damaging them and still having all data on it intact.
    Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

WHile im on the topic of hard drives.
    yesterday i fdisk'ed my hd. AT the end it asked me if i wanted to Logitech one of my partitions (or something like that, not sure if i spelt it right or even close tongue.gif ). I was just wonderin what that meant.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

yes. try not to lick the hard drive, immerse it in the bathtub, saw it in half or pour gravy on it. Having avoided all of these hazards, there should be no reason why hard disks can't be interchanged and run in any computer you want. i do it regularily, and one of my colleagues takes his hard drive with him everytime he comes into work (mmm.. T1 connection...)

about the fdisk, jeez, why are you fdisking your hard drive if you don't know what a logical drive is? don't fdisk again until you read up on it a bit smile.gif

I just got a 46gb hard drive and asked someone htf to partition tongue.gif

Thanks for info, ill get reading smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Partition the hard drive by first determining what percentages of the drive you want to partition and then proceed via hack-saw.

Best of Luck as those HD cases are made from a touch alloy...

smile.gif

"And there I was, minding my own business, when the Piano came out of nowhere!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

moving it around should b ok depends how you are moving it though . but when putting it into another computer rember to put it in a secondary slave so that the os you have installed on it will not be affected by the move and try and auto detect things off the new mobo

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Advertisement

The Hd would actually be the only hd for this sys then. the sys has never been used but would therefore have a used HD, i know i gotta uninstall drives and such if im usin diff hardware. Ne thing else i should remember apart from already given info? smile.gif

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi,

If your a bit of a novice, be careful not to bend the pins on the back of the hdd with the ide cable! It's easy enough to do.

On swopping the same hdd between 2 pcs , do you realise each time an o/s that detects plug n play boots up, it will find a different hardware setup?

You had best create 2 hardware profiles, and use 1 for each pc you are booting into.

If you need help creating a hardware profile, just post the question. Its not too hard! You could probably figure it from the helpfiles alone!

X

"Man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle against the urge to punch ‘em in the face, and for what?! For some pimply little puke to treat you like dirt unless you're on a team. Well I'm better than dirt ... well most kinds of dirt. I mean, not that fancy, store-bought dirt. That stuff’s loaded with nutrients. I …I can't compete with that stuff."
    -Moe Szyslak

A bit of a novice is a understatement smile.gif

I found the help file and some online help files. i think i got it sorted now. goign to try it out later tonight.
    Thanks again

Advertisement