Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

webproxys, firewalls and quakeworld

• 31-08-2001 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

we dont have access to an unfirewalled machines
    we can play quake for the labs alright cause we have access to unfirewalled machines so just get someone to run a qizmo.
    We have access to skynet but only ssh access.

Looks like nDGman and nDPodgeen wont be online.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

ssh is all you need
    just checked the qizmo website, they dont have a unix version anymore, only windows and linux.. ask sonic if skynet is running linux, or if he can get linux programs working on skynet, if he can, then youre sorted

new website for qizmo is http://www.udpsoft.com/qizmo/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

ah come on sam im not that slow..
    yeah skynet is running linux
    i could probably get one of the admins to run something for us maybe.. bit of hassle but maybe

how does qizmo work with ssh?
    explain if you can. i cant see anything in the readme

download the linux version of qizmo on skynet here:

http://www.udpsoft.com/qizmo/2.91/qizmo-2.91-intel-linux-glibc.tar.gz

(use wget or lynx or something, if you dont have ftp access to skynet)

on skynet, type
    tar -zxvf qizmo-2.91-intel-linux-glibc.tar.gz
    to extract it, then type "nohup ./qizmo -p 27501 -q &"

then connect to skynet:27501 using quakeworld
    then type
    ,connect <server>

ask sonic if you have problems, its the easiest way

you dont need to be an admin to be able to run a proxy, so long as you run it on a port over 1024 (like 27501, etc)

to turn off the proxy, you can type "ps auxw | grep podgeen" (if your username is podgeen), and then type "kill -15 <process ID>", eg. if qizmo is running under process 2342, type "kill -15 2342"
    if kill -15 processid doesnt work, then do kill -9 processid, usually need to do this if the program (qizmo) hangs

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 31-08-2001).]

yeah i had downloaded it and untared it
    i had it running on a default port

ill try the run command you gave me now and ill let you know..

we only have ssh port to skynet so how will it connect on that port??

• Advertisement

ahhhhh, so skynet blocks access to all ports over ip except ssh from your pc, right, then you cant do it

best bet is to look for another unix machine, like skynet, which IS firewalled, what usually happens then is, they figure "the machines firewalled anyway" so they let you have full access to its ports, and usually its a "special" machine so skynet might allow full access from that machine to itself, so u could run a qizmo on this hypothetical second machine, and basically connect over this to skynet.. look for another machine you might have access to, like maybe file-storage inside college, or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

So Sam, to go play Qw in DCU we would just tunnel through one of the free engineering machines?

I hope there is a solution to this.
    We are behind a firewall here in UL. We have no ports available to us except the web proxy. Is it possible to tunnell quakeworld packets you through this? Does anyone know if this can be done or if it has been done before. We have a decent connection a 34meg pipe and its not right not being able to play quake.
    some help on this would be great. It doesnt have to be quakeworld have anyone managed to tunnell any multiplayer games through a web proxy??

you cant play quake through a proper web proxy, like you lads have in UL..

the only way you could, is if someone ran qizmo or something on one of the unfirewalled unix machines, like skynet, or left it running on some pc in an unfirewalled lab

yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

hahahah .. two years later....

Gav

some skynet lads say it can be done using ssh tunnel that they used it for other stuff...
    but that it would work for quake but would probably be laggy... depends on how laggy i supposee...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Cant get QW through the infernal NUI,G firewall. There are, afaik, NO machines outside of this abomination, including the Compsoc server. I am, however, friendly with the compsoc admins.

Wasnt there a BW qizmo running on port 80?

Rob.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you could get one of the admins on skynet, to forward connections from your machine, up to port 27501, I reckon that would work. Eg, they would set it up so that connections to port 22 on skynet, originating from your ip, would get forwarded to port 27501.

Advertisement