Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find Fields in a table in asp

Options
  • 03-07-2002 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

I am working on a database driven asp site, and I was wondering if there is anyway to find out what fields a certain table has in an asp page, as I'm too lazy to download the database (it would require a me to reboot to windows). I know there is a "describe table" in mysql but is that sql or is it proprietary to mysql, and if it is sql what does it return in asp? I would assume a recordset, but if you dont know the fields in the first place how do you access the information? I'd say its simple and when I'm told I'll kick myself, but thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

i probably completely misunderstood that... but
    SELECT * .... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I think its more like:

Dim rs, i

'open your connection to the database, recordset
    rs.activeconnection = gCon '(or whatever your db connection is)
    'any other recordset stuff

'after its open list the fields
    for i = 0 to rs.Fields.Count -1
        response.write rs.Fields(i).Name & vbCrLf
    next i

Hope thats the kind of thing you mean

- Spunj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Spunj looks like he had it, but in the end I did the more active downloading of the db, so my questions have been answered.

ta for the replies though.

Advertisement