Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ad's that fu.ck your favorite band in the ass.

Options
  • 03-07-2002 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

What I'm talking about here is when a cool bands music gets used to hock some piece of sh.it product and then all the braindead morons out there in TV land have to get THAT tune! So to help them out you give them some Joy Division (or whatever) and they don't even listen to any of it except for 'looooovvvvvve, looooovvvvvve will teaahhrrr us apart , again!'. Now I know the bands themselves are probably ok with these ads but I still think it's a pisser!

Here's some examples :
    - Vodafone and Lifestyle sports for Dandy Warhols and New Order.
    - Heiniken for Joy Division and Buzzocks and possibly even Jesus and Mary Chain
    - BBC radio and the White Stripes

The worst one tho (and it doesn't even apply) is the AIB 'choices' ad where this floppy haired guy is in the savoy cinema and his date doesn't turn up (can't blame her). Anyway ever since that ad came out I've had about 5 people on seperate occasions ask me 'Uh, Is that the Smashing Pumpkins playing in the background?' I have to answer NO THAT IS JUST SOME **** SESSION BAND WHO OBVIOUSLY THOUGHT NO ONE WOULD NOTICE IF THEY DID A COMPLETE RIP OFF OF 1979 AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR PROVING THEM RIGHT YET AGAIN!

<RANT OVER>

Anyway, the point of this post is ... can you think of more ad's to add to the list where your fav bands are being brought to a whole new group of people who clearly don't deserve to hear them? And before you think I'm crazy let's not forget that it was Heikeken who unleased Ash onto the TV! The Rev's will probably get a deal with Radion next! Arrrrgh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

ahhhhhhh the Revs - noooooooooo

Agree with all the above, was trying to think of more examples but couldn`t. Yeah Dandy Warhols are now a poppy band due to the Lifestyle and VodaFoney Ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

aww diddums, are we upset that were not cool because we are a minority who listen to 'cool' music?

Rmember that every band in question gave permission for use of the songs.

Also, i think youll find that the band who did the AIB music are an irish band called The Walls. They used to be in The Stunning. There, a little fact you can use when your being all music nazi again.......

(BTW, I dont think it sounds much like 1979. I do however think its a complete rip-off of You and Me Song by The Wannadies)

I think that the detol/toilet duck ad uses a song by the White Stripes- but is more of a session instrumental bit.

Originally posted by bazH
    Yeah Dandy Warhols are now a poppy band due to the Lifestyle and VodaFoney Ads.

How has the fact that they have been used in two commercials affected the quality or genre of thier music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Damn, was just about to write that post Dustaz!

• Advertisement

Well before the ads, Dadny warhols were favoured by a select few making them
    cool
    . Now every feck wit is listening to them , well that sorta devalues there status. Not by the fact that they have a bigger audience but by the fact that 12yr olds were listening to them etc. I don`t think this would have happened say if they used the last junkie on Earth, Hard on for Jesus or Grunge Betty tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Originally posted by Pigman
    The worst one tho (and it doesn't even apply) is the AIB 'choices' ad where this floppy haired guy is in the savoy cinema and his date doesn't turn up (can't blame her). Anyway ever since that ad came out I've had about 5 people on seperate occasions ask me 'Uh, Is that the Smashing Pumpkins playing in the background?' I have to answer NO THAT IS JUST SOME **** SESSION BAND WHO OBVIOUSLY THOUGHT NO ONE WOULD NOTICE IF THEY DID A COMPLETE RIP OFF OF 1979 AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR PROVING THEM RIGHT YET AGAIN!

and the fact that the band in question is The Walls has nothing to do with it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I've been hearing a lot of DJ Shadow being used for tv ads lately, also the Hives, tis a travesty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Like the way Lenny Kravitz lent his song to the Peugot 206 ads, next thing is he's got himself some Greatest Hits album!!!

I thought he was a better producer than musician myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by Dustaz
    aww diddums, are we upset that were not cool because we are a minority who listen to 'cool' music?
    Eh, no.

Despite your pathetic attempt to patronise I have to dissapoint you by saying that I don't actually give a sh1t about being 'cool' (or whatever that word even means anymore). But what I do care about is the hoards of people sprouting up and saying how much they LOVE band x,y, and z even tho they'd probably struggle to name 3 songs by any of them.

Fair play to Vodafone and co for their succesful ad campains but it's a pity they've left behind a legacy of young girls singing 'bohemian like you' and misinformed 12 year old boys wondering when Joy Division will release another LP! :(

Admittedly, some people always have a problem with bands breaking to 'the next stage' (which is the group you think I am one of) and the fact that each development leads to new fans. I'm actually ok with any stage of evolution as long as the people that come on board at each stage become devoted like who were already there or just admit that they are along for the ride instead of pretending that you love a band that you clearly know nothing about.

Rmember that every band in question gave permission for use of the songs.
    Yeah, I already said that

Also, i think youll find that the band who did the AIB music are an irish band called The Walls. They used to be in The Stunning.
    Well if it was the Walls then I was doing them too much of a compliment by calling them a session band.

There, a little fact you can use when your being all music nazi again.......
    Music Nazi? Please! You don't even know what the term means! It's refers to someone who decides what music deserves merit and what does not. I'm talking about the people who listen to it, not the music itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Off on a slight tangent here, but has anyone ever rang Vodafone customer support? They have someone playing "Bohemian Like You" on the hold music (and its not the Dandy Warhols). I wonder if its a broadcasting issue or something. The guy singing it sounds different to The DW's singer......

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Oh, and Pigman, whats wrong with good music in ads? Whenever I hear "Bohemian Like You", I think of Vodafone. Thats the desired effect Vodafone were after. Plus its a great tune.

Same with "To The Bright and Shining Sun" in the AIB Ads.

However.......... the most memorable thing about the 2 lifestyle ads is the cute blonde!! :D

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Just because a lesser known band gets commercial appeal it dont mean that they are a pop band for christ sake!Some people seem to think that a band is cool when its only a couple of hundred loyal followers buying their album.But once they make a great track with commercial appeal they go pop apparently.Just look at Nickleback.A while back somebody posted about how you remind me with something like"Its a great song but the band is manufactured".Hello???!!?Manufactured?If that user was one of 5 people in Ireland who owned their album they would be a great band nobody listens to.But when they get a number 1 hit they become pop?Cut the crap!
    Anyway dandy warhols are ****e.Theyve a good sound but just listen to the lyrics of bohemian like you-theyre awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what happens to me is when a company takes a song and uses it in a huge marketing campaign (ie. Vodafone), i end up having to not listen to the song for weeks because i get fed up of them. if a band gains commercial success from advertising then i say fair ****s to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

NO THAT IS JUST SOME **** SESSION BAND WHO OBVIOUSLY THOUGHT NO ONE WOULD NOTICE IF THEY DID A COMPLETE RIP OFF OF 1979 AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR PROVING THEM RIGHT YET AGAIN!

the smashing pumpkins are my favourite band, i'm fanatical about them, and I can't understand how you could mistake that walls song with 1979.... They sound totally different... the guitar melody on 1979 ascends before descending, the walls song descends from the start, if i remember correctly. Also i absolutely love the walls song used in the aib ads, i really wish it was on cd or something.

As for the subject title of your post, "Ad's that fu.ck your favorite band in the ass", the bands must consent to their music being played in the ad, so I don't know what the fvck you're talking about.

As far as i can tell pigman thinks you need to have all known recordings of a band you like, been to see them 20 times, be a life long member of thier fan club and posses a genuine stool sample of the drummer that once played session on a tribute bands b-side before you can be a TRUE FAN!!

As far as i can tell pigman thinks you need to have all known recordings of a band you like, been to see them 20 times, be a life long member of thier fan club and posses a genuine stool sample of the drummer that once played session on a tribute bands b-side before you can be a TRUE FAN!!

As expected you don't reply to any comment I've made regarding to your previous post and as expected try to pass off your criticism with some glib half-assed comment. If you were any more predictable I'd call you Brazil winning the 2002 world cup.

Originally posted by Kopf

the smashing pumpkins are my favourite band, i'm fanatical about them, and I can't understand how you could mistake that walls song with 1979.... They sound totally different... the guitar melody on 1979 ascends before descending, the walls song descends from the start, if i remember correctly. Also i absolutely love the walls song used in the aib ads, i really wish it was on cd or something.

As I pointed out it wasn't I who mistook the walls for the pumpkins. It was 5 other individuals that I know. From listening to that exerpt on the ad I see that it resembles a distinct cooraltion to 1979 (at least I thought so). I'd like to point out that I'm also a pumpkins devotee (and because I didn't notice that similarities until it was highlighted to me) so for 5 individuals to remark that the tune was pumpkins-esque can lead me to believe that the AIB ad came from something that was mainstream-pumpkins and 1979 fits that bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'd like to make a point in favour of bands letting companies use their music in ads, take for example the album Play by Moby.

He couldn't get it promoted through the normal channels, i.e., radio or tv, so he agreed to licence the music to companies for ads, in total I think 8 or 9 tracks were used. As a direct result of this(and the fact that the album was superb) his music got exposure and the album sold millions worldwide. Who can be angry with a good band/artist who is a little underground using this method of promoting their music when little else is available to them? If i doesn't help them break through then at least its some income

True it is annoying when you get people claiming to be dandy warhol fans just cos they've seen the ad a million times but thats the price of breaking through

Originally posted by Jimi-Spandex
    I'd like to make a point in favour of bands letting companies use their music in ads, take for example the album Play by Moby.

He couldn't get it promoted through the normal channels, i.e., radio or tv, so he agreed to licence the music to companies for ads, in total I think 8 or 9 tracks were used.

Moby takes the piss though. He sold the rights to his music over 900 times world-wide!!!!

• Advertisement

Want me to address your point? It all boils down to this one:

I'm actually ok with any stage of evolution as long as the people that come on board at each stage become devoted like who were already there or just admit that they are along for the ride instead of pretending that you love a band that you clearly know nothing about.
    Why? What the hell is wrong with someone hearing a song on the TV, buying a single and deciding they quite like the band.
    I dont know much about the warhols apart from the 3 singles ive heard (junkie, bohemian, get off) and i quite like them. Im sorry if im not a TRUE DEVOTED FAN, im not along for any particular ride, i just like the music. Like a lot of other people out there. You need to get it thru your head that without people hearing music in this fashion, the bands you like might never get the money to go on and record more music for you to get devoted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I don't like that AIB song, they clearly ripped it off one of my songs, which I have been happening to play in Dublin a lot in the past year. I do think that having songs on ads can help a musician. But what I hate is when "artists" *cough* moby *cough* Uses ALL his songs on ads. And maybe they should leave the more commerical bands alone, and allow newer unsigned bands to do the music. Like The dandy warhols are complete shíte. I have never seen a worse live band in all my life.
    And if a band can't play live. They dont deserve to have a record, because then any muppet with a good producer can have a hit record.

Originally posted by Giblet
    I don't like that AIB song, they clearly ripped it off one of my songs, which I have been happening to play in Dublin a lot in the past year.

Are you someone i should know?

Want me to address your point? It all boils down to this one:

Why? What the hell is wrong with someone hearing a song on the TV, buying a single and deciding they quite like the band.
    I dont know much about the warhols apart from the 3 singles ive heard (junkie, bohemian, get off) and i quite like them. Im sorry if im not a TRUE DEVOTED FAN, im not along for any particular ride, i just like the music. Like a lot of other people out there. You need to get it thru your head that without people hearing music in this fashion, the bands you like might never get the money to go on and record more music for you to get devoted to.

You're wrong. Bands like the Dandys had already made numerous albums before anyone had ever heard of them or Vodafone and and had created a level of popularity that would have ensured that they could have kept making LPs with or without their current level of exposure.

Also like I already said I don't mind someone like yourself hearing a tune and going out and buying a single by whoever because as you've stated here that's as far as it goes for you. You hear the tune, you like the tune and and you don't feel like you have to make any bigger a deal out of it than that.

But what I am talking about is people who 'jump on the boat', hijack the band and become 'so called' devotees yet inevitably expose themselves to know next to nothing about their 'obsession' and subsequently disappear as soon as the next big thing comes along.

If these people did really get into bands as a result of ad campaigns and other things that would be fine. But for the most part all they seem to do is all they do is project the image of devotion that cheapens the experience for other people who do really have an interest.

The bottom line is go as far as you like, just don't pretend to be crazy about something if you're not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Tis the way of the world I'm afraid.

Getting your track played in an ad is a way of getting it into peoples heads and thus generate record sales.

I'm sure if we try real hard we can find a way of blaming this on mp3 downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by bazH
    I think that the detol/toilet duck ad uses a song by the White Stripes- but is more of a session instrumental bit.

Man, I heard "Get Off" ages ago when Uaneen was on No Disco.
    Loved the video.
    Lesbians shifting in a Barn. Classic.
    The chick with the tamborine is sweet too :)
    Leave the infantile bikering and ranting to the 15 year old slipknot and Nu Metal kiddies. They only have CS and they're musical fanaticism to guide them through pubescence

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Giblet
    And if a band can't play live. They dont deserve to have a record, because then any muppet with a good producer can have a hit record.

Or a good Stylist, marketing director and agent. *cough* Louis Walshe *cough* Irish Charts *splutter* tubby arrogant peado poofta *ahem* Westlife *bawk*

:)

If these people did really get into bands as a result of ad campaigns and other things that would be fine. But for the most part all they seem to do is all they do is project the image of devotion that cheapens the experience for other people who do really have an interest.

The bottom line is go as far as you like, just don't pretend to be crazy about something if you're not.

What i dislike are musical elitists, who would nearly stop listening to a band if they got too big , popular or well known.

So pigman who are mad at exactly, people who listen to the dandy warhols who haven't done so before they sold there music to an ad company
    Or is the the ad company for poaching a band you like.
    Or should it be directed at the band for "selling out"?

You're wrong. Bands like the Dandys had already made numerous albums before anyone had ever heard of them
    3 actually. They achieved a fair amount of popularity with 'Last Junkie on Earth' which i think was there second album. So they werent exactly going to live on thier back catalogue for the rest of thier lives.

But what I am talking about is people who 'jump on the boat', hijack the band and become 'so called' devotees yet inevitably expose themselves to know next to nothing about their 'obsession' and subsequently disappear as soon as the next big thing comes along.
    Oh come on, Nothing new in this at all. Its the same as a band having a breakthrough single, A song in a movie or anything along those lines. Grow up, this is THE AIM OF BANDS. To become popular. Please fck off if you think the aim of any band is to make music. Anyone can do this. The aim of any band is to make music that hopefully people will enjoy. The more the better. Why do you care if a few ppl decide they love the warhols off the back of 2 singles? Maybe they bought the album, or a t shirt or two. Its all money in the bank and publicity for the band which in turn allows them to go on to greater heights (if theyre any good that is. Personally i dont think they are. I hope they enjoy thier time in the sun.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"Please fck off if you think the aim of any band is to make music"

hmmm an enlightening comment, piss off.

Advertisement