Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS Password

• 03-07-2002 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to fix a problem with my dads laptop, and i need to get into the BIOS, the only problem is that he had a password on it and doesnt remember. anybody know any way to find out this or get past it. Its a Hewlett Packard OmniBook 4150. The BIOS is PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.

Lucifer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Ring them up or check on google if its possible to clear the cmos , say your hdd cant be detected and you want to try it - this is usually used for clearing BIOS passwords but if you mention that to them they will want you to fax in an invoice or have the machine sent into them (at least thats how gateway does it) else look for a BIOS password remover on the web - they exist but can be dangerous I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Do you know who set the bios password try these phoenix ones:
    phoenix, PHOENIX, CMOS, BIOS

If this was a pc, i`d just remove the cmos battery but i`m not sure with lappies afaik the above passwords should get you in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Removing the battery is prbaly your only option really or flashing it.
    If its a user ser password and your dad cant member it.
    the battery but it being a laptop.
    Finding the dman thing will be the problem heheh.
    kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

i've tried those passwords and none work. i also opened the laptop up, and cant find the battery, anybody know where i could get motherboard diagrams, etc that will show me, or and other ideas???

thanks so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

My battery is on the flip side of the motherboard and it is there for the exact reason of making it difficult to flash.
    hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

well i have taken off the keyboard, and i cant see a battery. how do you flash the bios, or install new bios software??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What you are looking for is a small shiny battery(3v) located on the mobo, to reset a bios, this batt is removed and the bios jumpers are "jumpered". But may verk with the removal of the batt and then booting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

It will reset to default setting make a note of them before you do take it out.
    IN case some are needed to run the laptop.
    kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

turn laptop upside down . bottom left corner unscrew everything there . should be there . they should be easy enough to get at . maby a bit hard to take out tho . should be near ur ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...have you tried this?

http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?cmospwd.html

...it claims to support PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6 (guy got it going on a Gateway Solo lappie)...

Haven't tried it myself, so standard disclaimers and all that...
    Gadget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If it was an IBM laptop I'd say you would have a very expensive door stop by now. :)

Have you tried ringing the makers of the laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Try resetting yer oul fella. He cant have that many passowrds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

try for silly passwords like your family's name/brothers name/mothers birthday/maiden name.....usually something v.simple. A guy built our pc and I went into the bios to add a new hdd and what the F*ck has he done but set a password so if we wanted to upgrade something we would have to ring him and pay him to change it........feck that, the family surname got me in 1st guess :)

Advertisement