Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting to the internet via a mobile

• 05-09-2001 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

I want to connect to the internet using my mobile and laptop. The question is, do i need to join a mobile isp or a regular isp In order to do this? I know you use a mobile isp for wap, but what's the situation with connecting via a mobile and laptop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Howdy,

I've done this with my handspring Visor and nokia 6210. As regards, ISP, you can just stick with a standard one. I use Eircom.net.

It depends on your mobile as to how you will connect. You can either use the infra-red if laptop/phone have it, or a data cable.

You might need to get drivers for windows to treat the phone as a modem, but I think that you can just send standard AT commands to the phone and it will work fine.

Gav

but in answer to your main question, any dial-in isp will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nokia data suite is what you want.
    and as verb said, its just the same as connecting from home except you connect using a mobile as your phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

And where would you get one of these data cables? Are there different sorts for Nokia phones (not brands - types)?
    Can you get USB ones?
    Also, what is the ping like on GSM? I think the bandwidth is 9.6kbps anyways, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

I use my Nokia 6210 with infra red on my notebook Toshiba Satellite with any isp. No problems, it is slow but i beleive Esat has upgraded to 14.4k but haven't got it working yet. By the way I am using Win2K and if you are using Nokia 6210 you will need to get upgraded drivers from Nokia site, the one on the cd my not work. I couldn't get the serial cable working though. You don't need to install the all Data Suite as it only controls your mobile phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

as regards mobile isp's
    they are cheaper to access from a mobile as you get charged mobile - mobile rates - 10p/m or free if you have free minutes left.

calls to land lines are dearer though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Use my Toshiba Satellite Pro & Nokia 8210 (IR) with no difficulties with Eircom under Win2k.

Only 9.6k though frown.gif

-Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

Advertisement