Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win2k logon prob

• 06-09-2001 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

thanks but the problem is that I have no option to logon to local machine or the old network it appears that its trying to logon to a new workgroup and as the laptop wasnt setup by me I dont have the orginal admin password nothing is ever simple

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

It would be quicker to reinstall Win2k and give your own admin password and netwrok option then try to find the admin password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

if there is no "options" button, then there is a good chance that no network connection was set up on the laptop. It can only log in to it's local workgroup (itself).

you'll need either the admin account (which you don't have) or the username and pass of someone set up to use that pc.

have you tried the GUEST account? usually this is disabled by the bet admin or techie but, you never know! (password is usually guest as well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I've never tried this, but got it from a friend! At your own risk in other words!

If your partition is fat, your're in luck.

If it is NTFS .. you need a hacking utility.

Assuming Win2k is on a fat partition, boot from a Win 98 floppy, and go to the active partition , we'll call it 'c:'

Navigate to the c:\winnt\system32\config folder and rename the SAM.

Do ther same for the SAM in the Winnt\repair.

Reboot, your account administrator, your password is blank .!

X
    p.s. reply and let me know if it works

"Man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle against the urge to punch ‘em in the face, and for what?! For some pimply little puke to treat you like dirt unless you're on a team. Well I'm better than dirt ... well most kinds of dirt. I mean, not that fancy, store-bought dirt. That stuff’s loaded with nutrients. I …I can't compete with that stuff."
    -Moe Szyslak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Pabloescobar

its an ntfs partition any idea what kind of hacking utility I,ll need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 leinster51

There is a bootdisk created that i have somewhere that will create an overflow and allow one to add in a new admin password / account ill have a look for it have it somewhere

• Advertisement

far as I know, if it's coming down to hacking you're a little out of luck (also asking on a public board for a utility to hack an OS is not really a good idea).

Dos boot disks won't work on an ntfs system.

I don't know of another way around.

can you not get to the person that set the machine up? They might remember the admin password.

thanks I am currently tracking down the orginal admin their in luembourg and french so its not easy. I would normally just do a reinstall but there is a application on board the laptop that we cant get rid of and have no other copy of. thanks if you get that boot disk let me know cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

There are numerous boot disks around for disabling the NT pasword. Search google for them. As for them being hacking.. They are also very useful tools for sys admins.. just as in this exact situation.

Gav

if it's sp2 (maybe sp1) the overflow won't work as far as I can remember.

anyone know how to bypass the logon prompt for win 2k have a laptop thats trying to logon to a workgroup that dosnt exist and wont let me logon was logging on to a domain and worked fine but now all the default passwords admin etc dont work and theres no option to logon locally

• Advertisement

probably already done this but:

on the logon screen have you checked under options.

use the drop down menu to select the option that has (this computer) beside it. Then you use you LOCAL password to log in (if it is different from that on the network).

alternatively you can select the network you normally log in to and use your password for that. It should log in but will register a "disconnected" or "network cable unplugged" symbol.

as far as I know, the logon is not by-passable. Part of the security.

Advertisement