Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus enquiry.

Options
  • 03-07-2002 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Everytime i visit the WebCafe i spend most of my time searching for virus information and virus programs. Curiosity cant be ignored, but ive found only 1 or 2 sites that provide virus programs. Maybe im looking in the wrong places or maybe i dont have enough time but i would be appreciated if i could be pushed in the right direction. I need a downloadable virus to fit on a floppy so i can test it on a spare hard drive to study its works.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would think providing virus programs would be either

a) Illegal, or

b) A sure way to getting blacklisted

Which is probably why you find it hard to get any. Even asking here, I'm not sure if the admins will like it, as regardless of your motives, is it just as bad as asking for warez, and given your n00bieness, you'll not be trusted. If your motives are genuine, the best way is to get yourself onto as many people's address books as possible, and just wait for the virii to come rolling in. Don't sign up for spam, it's actually more hassle than it's worth, and they actually tend not to send out viruses.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 prophet88

Yo Seamus,
    Thanks for your reply, much appreciated but i think we think totally differently. Whats the best way to learn about sex? Go out and do it. I is using the same approach here. I have a spare hardrive that i want to release a virus to and as stated, study and record its actions so i will have a little knowledge on the subject. Anyone who blacklists a person for wanting to learn should be blacklisted themselves......

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't doubt what you want to do with it, but I'm saying that any website that freely distributed virii would be in a heap of trouble, ie blacklisted, shut down, etc etc. For all I know, you want to modify a worm to do more damage (I don't think so though) - but that's the stance that any website owner would have to take.

It's along the lines of - "will someone out there give me an activation code for Windows XP? I have the CD, but lost my code". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

[removed first bit because I somehow moved into wrong forum, my bad :) ]

Your wording of your request would seem to suggest that you don't want the virus for the intentions specified. The reason being anyone who's even briefly looked at them would know to get virus code/information is horribly easy on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hmm, dunno how this got here locked, but how-and-ever...

My personal opinion is that anyone who considers writing a virus, with even the slightest intention of releasing into the wild, should be hung, drawn, quartered and then shot. Repeatedly, until unidentifiable.

Of course, I can understand, a) curiosity from the POV of wondering how the things work, and b) curiosity from the POV of figuring out how to detect and disable them.

Al.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement