Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebs Against the Euro!?

Options
  • 03-07-2002 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Was I the only one to listen somewhat incredulously to the News at One as it was announced that several well known personalities
    has been recruited to the anti-euro campaign including Bob
    Geldof KBE. Not to mention Vic Reeves, Ade Edmundson and asorted others, has the world gone mad or is normal politics now offfically D-E-A-D?. I'd just love to hear Vic explain why the single currency is bad for Britain just to see if he surprises me!

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Hell be the mouthpiece for what will probably be a very savvy group of economic commentators .... basically spouting out anti-euro arguments ( and there are valid ones, like everything the Euro is a tradeoff) in language simplified enough so that Sun readers arent confused by words of more than 4 or 5 letters.

Politics isnt so much dead, but rather it takes a lot of fancy lights and noises to get peoples attention these days long enough for you to get your view across....celebrities just help to grab that attention, even if theyre strictly C and B list celebrities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭fisifan01

its all part of a tory conspiracy to create an anti-Euro bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

its all part of a tory conspiracy to create an anti-Euro bandwagon

There are genuine concerns out there about the direction of the EU.

We often see Stars jumping on Bandwagons but in this case I think that their concerns are genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

well the anti euro campaign needed something to liven it up,most of the anti euro politicians were of the aging tory right who were rightly or wrongly thought of as either boring or ww2 obsesed "little englanders".
    The ad was meant to move the debate away from the "dont mention the war" brigade and be more relevent to a younger more "savvy" 30 something generation. It was therefore somewhat amusing to see ric mayal doing a freddy star style Hitler impersonation,either a horendous own goal or a piece of satirical genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

Whatever you say, I think it makes the whole issue really tacky. Who is Bob Geldof? One minute he's Irish, the next English. The people will vote, how they say fit, and it doesn't matter what these "celebs" say.

As my mother would say, if Bob Geldof told you to jump of a cliff, would you?

Enough of this nonsense, and let them (the British) get down to the decision at hand.

• Advertisement

Bob geldof is pretty much best known for his fund raising and organising of Band Aid/Live Aid in the UK,plus he lives in london and has some kind of knighthood/honor so i guess he has as much right to comment on the currency he buys his groceries as any other person.It would be a little rascist to say he wasnt born here so he should keep his mouth shut.I havent seen the full advert as it is only running at selected cinemas and the bbc have only shown sound bites whilst doing that annoying habit of telling you what the people are saying rather than letting you hear for yourself.But i would agree the presentation looks tacky.And geldofs interveiw calling for people to address the issues in a serious manner, to put the arguement in a construtive manner looks a little stupid when intercut with harry enfield and phil cornwall's comedy characters.
    Not one of the stars of the advert went to the press launch suggesting to me that they were probally distancing themselves from the whole affair,though the commentator somewhat dismissively suggested they were still in bed in the early afternoon.
    Like i say maybe it makes more sense when you see the whole of the advert,but for most people the bbc/c4 version will be the one that leaves the impression.

Like i say maybe it makes more sense when you see the whole of the advert,
    then again maybe it looks even more embarassing in full....
    http://www.no-euro.com/

bbc says no to hitler gags http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_2090000/2090583.stm

Advertisement