Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duff to Old Trafford!

• 03-07-2002 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Talks have begun to bring Damien "The Duffer" Duff to
    Man Utd, okay I can see why Blackburn might want to cash in
    and have a war chest for the next 12 months but why would
    Utd want to spend, the proberly, £20 million plus on a
    left winger when they have one of the best already- Ryan Giggs?.
    He has about 6/7 years on Giggs but it still seems like spending for the sake of it. They should be thinking about thier defence.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I think it would be a bad move for him. He has a decent wage, a decent team around him, and European football at Blackburn. There are obviously advantages to signing for United, but I don't think he will...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

"European Football at Blackburn"

Do you really think that they will get beyond one round, two at the most?

But I agree, going to Man Ywe would be a terrible move for him. Whatever else he needs first team football. I would agree with him leaving Blackburn tho...

Besides all that, I have not seen this news anywhere worth paying attention to, so I think its waffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    "European Football at Blackburn"

Do you really think that they will get beyond one round, two at the most?

But I agree, going to Man Ywe would be a terrible move for him. Whatever else he needs first team football. I would agree with him leaving Blackburn tho...

Besides all that, I have not seen this news anywhere worth paying attention to, so I think its waffle.

Bad move for Duff, if it happens! The best thing he could do is get the hell out of the premiership and experience his full potential in either Spain or Italy.

experience his full potential in either Spain or Italy
    Waffle! Name me one Irish or English player in the last few years who has done well in either of those countries?

Macca gets the odd game in Real. But they have told him he is free to leave at the start of both of the last two seasons. On top of that he is not even close to the England squad.

Every Irish or English player of note plays in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I think it would be a great move for him. Giggs hasnt had a full season of football in years and United really lack cover on the left. Also given Fergies fondness of resting Beckham he could also play on the right or as another alternative up front. IMO he would end playing almost every game including in Europe.

Good for United, good for Duffer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

I think its a good move for Duffer and United as well.

I'm Man Utd through and through, and i love Giggsy more than any other footballer, i'm his biggest fan... but i think defenders have wised up to him now, and he's pushing 29 now, so there aren't many more years left in him as a winger, i think fergie knows this too, he's already trying to find somewhere else to play him, like in the hole behind Van Nistlerooy.
    It'll break fergies heart, and mine, but he has to realise that he'll have to drop Giggs soon.

I'm Man Utd through and through
    and loyal to boot!

Giggs is still the best left sided player in England. Just cos he's 29 does not mean he is in the que for a bus pass just yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    Waffle! Name me one Irish or English player in the last few years who has done well in either of those countries?

Macca gets the odd game in Real. But they have told him he is free to leave at the start of both of the last two seasons. On top of that he is not even close to the England squad.

Every Irish or English player of note plays in England.

So because no player has done it in recent years it should be written of as an ideaf? That's some great thinking!

Contrary to what SkySports would like to tell you the premiership isn't the best league in the world and especially when it comes to the top clubs England doesn't even come close. Despite being back in Europe for over a decade England has only managed to get one team to the C.L final which is a testimant to it's quality (or lack of).

Also It's not about how many games you play. I'm a Liverpool supporter and I can say without reservation that Steve McManaman is a better player now than he ever was at Anfield even though he less games.

If he doesn't get picked for the national team than that's an issue between him and the manager but he wouldn't be the first player who clearly deserved to get into their international squad but didn't. So judging a players quality by how many international caps he got isn't really an accurate yardstick.

Well the Premier league may not be the best but according to UEFA it has produced the third best results in European competitions over the past five seasons. And if you just take the figures for the last three seasons they are second behind Spain.

Association 1996/97 1997/98 1998/99 1999/2000 2000/01 Total

1. Spain 11.600 8.428 10.000 18.571 16.611 65.210

2. Italy 10.142 12.285 12.000 12.000 9.812 56.239

3. England 7.400 7.785 7.437 14.500 14.166 51.288

4. Germany 9.142 11.000 6.357 11.071 11.062 48.632

5. France 7.125 6.800 8.642 10.285 9.500 42.352

6. Netherlands 6.250 6.833 4.833 6.250 6.083 30.249

7. Turkey 6.875 4.400 3.200 7.750 7.750 29.975

8. Greece 3.500 6.500 6.200 5.416 6.750 28.366

9. Russia 2.750 9.875 7.000 4.250 3.833 27.708

10. Portugal 7.400 3.416 3.500 5.833 6.125 26.274

IMO though the Premier League is more exciting than the Primera Liga even though they may have a slightly higher standard of football. It is definitely though better than the Bundesliga and Serie A. Italians teams performances in Europe the last three seasons have been woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

La Liga is much better cause of the passion that they have there, much better than in England.

I know this mightn't seem important but on the day of the Fa cup final, I couldn't get over the difference between the atmosphere in Cardiff, and the atmosphere in Hampden for the Scottish Cup Final,

I know that it was an Old firm final and all that, and that they only ever happen once, maybe even twice a year. but the atmosphere was electric through the whole match, while anytime i flicked over to see the other final, there was no atmosphere, just a lot of converstions going on in the crowd, no singing, no chanting, and that for supposedly the greatest domestic cup in the world...

• Advertisement

The athmosphere at any Old Firm game is beyond anything else in England. Having been to Glasgow, Manchester and Liverpool derbies IMO the athmosphere in Glasgow is far better than the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I think fergie will take Duffer on as a striker he's similar to Ryan Giggs and Giggs played very well in the hole behaind Van Nistellroy in the champions league last year.

That way throughout the course of the match duff and giggs can move aroun and constantly switch postions with each other to throw the defence off.

I think Duff will really excel we a good passing team like United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

he wants him to play as a left midfielder
    than throw gigs and van nistelroy upfront with gigs just playin behind ruddy
    sounds good

Advertisement