Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seting up an isdn account on a laptop

• 05-09-2001 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

I got a laptop ere the bosses laptop!!! he has a modem already installed n now he wants an isdn card installed...

I installed the card n was working but then the modem stoped working, so now i have the modem working n the isdn account won't work!

When i have one setup n working n try to dial out on the other it causes a physical memory dump!!! not nice...

Win2k on a Compaq Armada E500, anyone know why it's happening, or even better how to fix it??

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is quite unmanagable to have two (or more) equivalent devices working on the one machine, my experience of any network configuration (including modems) being an accute example of this. Laptops can be 'cranky' even if you are just loggin on / off a network.

Tell him he can have one or the other, not both, it takes too much time chopping and changing.

Is he using the modem at home and ISDN at work? If so use another machine for the ISDN at work and copy files across between the machines.

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Victor:
    It is quite unmanagable to have two (or more) equivalent devices working on the one machine, my experience of any network configuration (including modems) being an accute example of this. Laptops can be 'cranky' even if you are just loggin on / off a network.

Tell him he can have one or the other, not both, it takes too much time chopping and changing.

Is he using the modem at home and ISDN at work? If so use another machine for the ISDN at work and copy files across between the machines.

</font>

That's not quite true now. What about all these LAN/isdn/modem pcmcia cards you see about ?

What cards are you using ? Are you using their drivers, or Win2000 drivers ?

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you can try setting up 2 different hardware profiles if you are using win2k or nt
    on the other hand, ive ha 2 different modem devices in a system at the same time, so i dont see why you shouldnt have a modem and an isdn adapter.
    if you have some sort of card wizard, it may help you if you need to hot swap the 2 cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I don't really understand myself why he's wants an isdn adapter aswell, he connects to the network at work, n he has the modem for home!?

I was thinkin of seting up different hardware profiles, but i just no he won't like that!

The card is an Xircom isdn adapter, i downloaded the drivers from the site (as i was only handed the card n laptop n told to set it up!)

The modem is onboard - Compaq 56k (V.90) Mini PCI

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

Have you checked what ports the modems using? Also it may be worth checking other devices that uses comm ports e.g infra red. Win2K should not assign the same port to two devices but hearing that you are getting blue screen it may be the case. I had a similiar problem with NT4, never got the two modems working together (one was for a mobile phone), I guess this Win2K should have resolved these issues. maybe!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by azezil:
    I don't really understand myself why he's wants an isdn adapter aswell, he connects to the network at work, n he has the modem for home!? I was thinkin of seting up different hardware profiles, but i just no he won't like that!</font>

Been there - hence my response above - I sorted it by getting rid of my boss. Maybe you need him to explain better what he wants to do? Is there a third site he will be working from (client's office, net cafe, girlfriend's, hotel rooms)? Is the a genuine reason to have LAN, modem & TA?

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

If he is willing to spend a little, you could get a DIVA Mobile PCMCIA V.90 Which will do ISDN and Analogue. Keep the network card as well.
    Think you should be able to get one of them for about £240 sterling.
    Look about there are other brands, that are cheaper, some have ISDN/V.90/network options.

Advertisement