Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem

Options
  • 03-07-2002 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, one of my friends told me the other night that she was bulimic.

I really care for her and am wondering what is the best way to help her through this?

Is it just to give her support, or is there anything else i can do?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I dont know much about bulimia but if you really want to help why not look into places that help people with eating disorders and get some information on bulimia itself. Thats all the advice i have on it as i've never had that problem

Oh and just be there for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Well Bulemia is where the person forces themselves to be sick (often after over eating) in order to lose weight, it can often go undiagnosed as the person may not be underweight (like with anorexia).

Few questions, is your friend teenage? if so it is a stage that a *lot* of teenage girls go through, and just a little support will help her through it.

Reassure her that regardless of what she looks like that it doesnt change who she is or it doesnt make her a better person.

Sometimes a person becomes bulemic as the result of deeper problems and this is an unconscious cry for help, try to be there for her to talk to.

I've spent hours sitting in rooms with people while they cried beause of the things they felt while they were anorexic & bulemic.

It can be a very serious condition with huge effects on the persons life.

Look up "bulemia support" in google and you will see hundreds of young women (and some men) with this problem.

Try to be there to talk to, if she's told you then she's making an effort to get some help.

It can last for years, even after the person claims they are better, just be there for her, and if you've any specific questions feel free to ask.

Try and get her to talk to a support group, either on the phone or go to a group session or one-to-one session, look up in phone books or ask your doctor for the numbers and addresses.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Hussy

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Basically, one of my friends told me the other night that she was bulimic.

I really care for her and am wondering what is the best way to help her through this?

Is it just to give her support, or is there anything else i can do?

Thanks.

Just be there for her,thats all she wants. She told you coz she wanted you to know,not so you could do anything about it but just so you knew and if she ever did need help that you would be there for her. You are odviously someone important to her,otherwise she wouldn't have told you. The worst thing you can do now is treat her any differently, don't watch what she eats and don't panic everytime she says shes going to the toilet. It will hurt her to think things have changed between ye because of what she told you.

Advertisement