Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliability - Different cards using the same chip

• 02-09-2001 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

i know there's sod-all difference in performance between two cards that both run a GeForce3, assuming both stick at roughly the same core/memory clock speeds, but is it likely that if i buy a geforce3 card made by the likes of Sparkle, that it could be a lot less reliable (ignoring overclocking results) than a Creative or Asus card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

well i have a geforce 2 pro 64mb ( as you all know)

i got mine for cheap,(so i didn't care) but its made by a korean company called dream, its stable i think once you use standard well updated drivers things can be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Well, there's two places these companies can break your balls.

The memory on the card, which could be second rate stuff with dodgy access times....

...and their Quality Control. As in, cards not tested fully after manufacturing, the manufacturing process itself not being carefully controlled or monitored, etc.

At the end of the day, it depends on how much your willing to dish out for peace of mind. A card from Creative will cost you more, but at least they'll have no problems giving you support and replacing the card under Warranty. With companies based in Asia with no local offices you'll probably have a harder time with obtaining any form of Support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

nice info, kegs... thanks smile.gif

Advertisement