Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GeForce4 TI 4200 probs

• 04-07-2002 9:47am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

I bought a Mentor GeForce4 TI 4200 128mb yesterday. When I installed it at home I started having problems with UT and UT2 beta crashing after a few minutes of playing. Im told the GF4 may need a higher power supply than standard pcs.

Does any1 know anything about this? Is it possible that it maybe running on a lightly lower power supply than is recommended and crashes after a while from being underpowered when it is forced to work hard on a game that would work it extensively?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

sounds like the drivers are at fault rather then the power supply, if it was the power the machine would just shut down rather then just crashing, mate of mine had the same probs.....are you running win 98 by any chance as there are known probs with the geforce drivers & 98

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Well yeh, not Win 98, but Im running Win ME. Im using the latest detonator drivers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Well yeh, not Win 98, but Im running Win ME. Im using the latest detonator drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

try some other games, this should isolate the problem a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Low power will cause crashes and perhaps reboots in my experience, i dont' see shutdowns often. Normally the screen will just freeze or you will get a blue screen.

Also some versions of the detonators are not happy with certain motherboards and operating systems. A perfectly healthy ECS K7S5A (AVOID), running a GF2 (OR GF4 for that matter), will crash with Direct3D based games such as UT, Max Payne or Op Flash, when you use the Detonator 23.11 drivers. Other boards are fine.

Try the following games if you have them, Deus Ex (uses unreal technology and tends to suffer on machines that UT suffers on), also try Quake3 as this uses OpenGL.

Try an older version of the Dets as an experiment (make sure you get rid of the old drivers, download Detonator Destroyer or something like that) and report back your findings.

And seriously, you are better of with 98SE over ME. 2000 if you are playing newer games only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭The_Keeper

i was having some problems with my geforce4 ti 4400 where the comp was crashing nearly every few minutes of then playing games like gta3. all i did was d/l the latest drivers off the www.creative.com webby and the problem went away.

i am using winxp so i dont know if u r having the same trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

first of all the 23.11 were one of the most performance enhanced but albeit buggy drivers ever written by nvidia, but if you can use them with no stability problems this driver set is the dogs B*llix.

If your constantly having trouble with reference drivers either install the drivers from your video cards manufacturer's site or use the 21.83's, 12.41, 28.32 or 29.42 drivers.

The other thing to do is install your graphics card as a standard pci graphics adapter, then install the detonator's.

If your using a via chipset and winme or win98se then any drivers after the 4in1432 are usually the ones to cause problems. Try the 4in1428's instead. or simply download the agp driver and install this on it's own.

Don't install the irq routing miniport unless it's necessary, I've found the default ide drivers that load with the os also give me better access times (under 98 and 2k) If your running xp then install the latest driver pack ONLY if you are having trouble with the default drivers that load with the os or maybe just the agp driver.

Have you tried installing your agp driver in standard mode?
    Disalbed video bios shadowing and all caching in bios? Tried different agp aperture sizes?

As a last resort you may want to try disabling dma for the time being, have you got any conflicting irq's?

You need to give us a list of your hardware/os/bios settings/driver versions/psu/dx version if you really want any decent help, all I can do with what you've given me is take stabs in the dark...................

Advertisement