Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I'm going insane.. win2k question

• 04-09-2001 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

ok, please tell me I'm not going insane but I can't install any new fonts on win2k.

I opened the fonts folder in control panel (and I checked the help file to make absolutely sure afterwards) but there is o option to install or add new fonts. The help file says it is on the file menu.. no it's not. there's a "new" sub menu but that's the normal one with folder, shortcut etc.

I am the machines admin and have admin rights to the network (though I really can't see that having anything to do with it). There is nothing like tweakui on this machine and I have never blocked anyone from control panel items (yet).

any ideas? am I going blind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BBG

Do u not just copy the fonts into the fonts dir and it automatically detects them then. Thats what i did as far as I can remember and I have a shedload of fonts installed.

Fur

I am Fury.....can I have my old password now please??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Summit foo with yer Win2k... for me it's File/Install New Font

-Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

1. Click on the desktop
    2. Press F1
    3. Select Search tab within help and type "install fonts".
    4. Press Enter.
    5. Select the "Add a new font to your computer"
    6. Follow instructions on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Used to be fine for me, but since I last installed win2k I can't install any new fonts either, thought it was just me being thick, guess not smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Are you both sure you are logged in with administrator class IDs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i am.. my fonts installed fine same way as in win98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

_creed_ , yep, definitely admin id. on the machine and on the network.

hobbes: I searched help before I posted but that's the problem:
    To add a new font to your computer

Open Fonts in Control Panel.
    On the File menu, click Install New Font.
    In Drives, click the drive you want.
    In Folders, double-click the folder that contains the fonts you want to add.
    In List of fonts, click the font you want to add, and then click OK.
    To add all of the listed fonts, click Select All, and then click OK.

seems straight forward right? Well it would be if the "file" menu actually had an "Install new font" option.. or any option other than the standard file menu stuff for that matter.

tried copying the font files in and seeing if it would auto detect but alas and alack, ne pas de joy! frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Upgrade to SP2, sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

upgraded to sp2. Not sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Odd. I've seen that problem twice before, both times an upgrade to SP2 and everything was fine.

I can't think of anything else in regards to the problem apart from a good old fashioned "cure the sore toenail by amputating the leg" method. Reinstall your OS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement