Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambassador & Olympia...Rubbish Venues?

• 04-07-2002 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

I've been to three or four gigs in the Ambassador since it reopened and countless gigs in the Olympia and one thing has always struck me when im in either......how rubbish they are.

It's not the actual Venues themselves because with a bit of work they could be fantastic. Let me put a couple of points about both venues and see if you agree/disagree.

The Ambassador.

The ground floor (which is standing only) is sloped. Standing on a slope for any sustained period of time is going to give you bad backache and put a lot of pressure on the back of the legs. This could be countered by having something to lean on. The only thing to lean on is the metal structure loosely assembled around the sound board. If you attempt to go within 3 foot of said assembly you will be pushed over by over zelous bouncers. The attitude of the bouncers seems to way overboard. Upon leaving the venue one large bouncer will block half of the only exit and make sure noone has robbed anything. Upstairs, which is seated, you feel detached from the gig....sound is poor and you can only see the top half of the stage. Oh, and they cut one of the gigs i went to short (10.30) because some nightclub was on at 11.30.

The Olympia.

The Olympia is crying out to be renovated. Bouncers here have much the same attitude, have no problems pushing over people rather than walk around. The toilets are the worst of been to in Dublin, it's just a trough that goes around the three walls. Gets to be a very slippy place late at night. The seats in the Olympia are horrible, horrible works of the devil. No legroom whatsoever unless you are some kind of pygmy. Really, truly horrendously uncomfortable seats. Also, i think the sound isnt that great either.

Sorry for the rant, im just a bit fed up with these venues. Ticket prices just seem to rise and rise and the actual venues seem so poor. What do you guys think? Am I talking Sh*te?

Thanks
    MB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by mbroaders

Sorry for the rant, im just a bit fed up with these venues. Ticket prices just seem to rise and rise and the actual venues seem so poor. What do you guys think? Am I talking Sh*te?

Thanks
    MB

You're entirely justified, the two places are (I think) owned by MCD which says a LOT. The worst concert promoters in the WORLD, pack of money grabbing, couldn't-care-less b**tards.

I doubt they'll renovate either venue, I mean they didn't bother their arses to do much to the Ambassador when it re-opened.
    They don't really have any reason to renovate because people will always want to see their favourite bands and you know the Irish mentality of not complaining doesn't help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

They don't really have any reason to renovate because people will always want to see their favourite bands and you know the Irish mentality of not complaining doesn't help

Moaning on Boards will achieve little but the sympathy of people (such as myself) who agree with you. It's harder to ignore snail mail than a post on these boards. Start the ball rolling and I'm sure that you will have the support of hundreds/thousands of others...

Olympia: The seats: there is absolutely no leg room, and you will be physically surrounded by three over-zealous rent-a-cops if you try standing. But then,when you're standing downstairs you'll be pushed against people more so by the staff than the crowd. Their heavy handed techniques will cause more trouble than they prevent. :mad:
    Today's rant was brought to you by the words: Renovation & Change-your-security-group (it's a word!)

Advertisement