Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem trouble

Options
  • 04-07-2002 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

I have a 56K conexant modem, on a Dell dimension, but lately it seems to have funked itself up, if i try and connect to the net, all i get is a message saying that the port is in use, dunno if my modem is banjaxed or i've got a virus or sumtin.

NEone know whats wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

What OS are you using.

Have you tried uninstalling the modem via control panel and then rebooting and reinstalling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Win 98 2nd edition,

Removed the drivers and stuff but still no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Installed anything lately ?
    moved the computer to connect to a different socket ?

Gav

Well i did install CM 2001-2002, just b4 it funked up, but i doubt thats it,

And the computer was moved into my room a few weeks ago, but it wasn't workin b4 that.

I'm at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Do you get a port open error if you do a diagnostic on the modem in modem properties?

• Advertisement

Thats exactly what i get.

Well saruman, do you know if i need a new modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I'd suggest making sure no other application is using your com port. Close every unneccasary application and try again. Is there a different com port you could try it on?

I think so, but i won't be able to try anything until the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Have a load of users who bought Dell Dimensions for home and have lost count of the amount that have had this problem with Dells crap HCF modems. You can try re-installing it, but I haven't had one instance where the problem doesn't come back to haunt you. If the machine is still under warranty, ring Dell, go through a few hoops with their support people and they'll send you a new one, which if you very lucky, might last a few years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement