Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying advice: cheap laptop

• 06-09-2001 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

A relation of mine is looking for a new but cheap laptop. Specs aint that important, but it must be new for warranty reasons, and the price is IR£550 - 750.

Can it be done? I know Kayos bought and Advent from one of the high st resellers (the likes of Dixons, Compustore et al), and it isn't a bad machine by all reports. It was still around the grand mark though.

So is there somewhere I can get a new 3/400MHz lappie for reasonable money?

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I priced an 'ok' machine from Dell (14 inch screen, 700Mz, some minor extras) and it just didn't add up, something like .

Too much for what you take for granted just isn't included in the basic price they advertise. They were not so much 'extras' as 'kinda important' (Virus scan, etc.)

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, I'm considering getting a cheapie laptop too. How much does anyone think this would cost: ~600Mhz, 128MB RAM, 8-10gigs, standard vid card(nothing fancy), 32XCDROM, NO software at all(have it all at home), and all other standard ports. Please be gentle.

"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." - Albert Einstein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

"something like ."? I don't see any price there, maybe it's this browser...

Anyway, the cheapest Dell Latitude 2500 is around IR£1100 incl vat & delivery, that's just a little too far out of range ... forget about Sonys and Toshibas for the most part... next best thing I can think of is an IBM Thinkpad, Hobbes, can you check out the prices for employee discount on those? My cus works in Lotus and could swing that I suppose.

I think there's a definite business opportunity here...

GL seamus, & post back if you've any more info.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I'll have an ask around in work tommorrow and see if anything is going... it's worth trying the high-street resellers for older stock that didn't sell and has crashed in price though.

Pity you didn't ask this last week, mate of mine had a nice 600MHz going for £799 with a 5 year Insurance Plan transferred into your name from some shop or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭acidweb

AD:

"A DELL SPECIAL OFFER, optiplex P11, 400, 64 MB, 6GB, CD, Snd, 15" monitor £400. Quantity of 3 or more necessary. E-Machine 667 MHZ(new) 128MB, 20GB, DVD, 15" Monitor, Win Me, 12 Mths Warranty £600 inc."

Found this on buyandsell.ie

www.acid.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Found this one while scanning buy and sell, but I think it belongs on the humour boards
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Compaq Laptop. Win95, Word97, Internet ready (c/w modem), colour screen, 20MB RAM, 350MB HDD, carry case, £310 ono. 086-8076982 fo_cleirigh@hotmail.com</font>

350MB HD!!!! for 310!!!!!! f*ck off biggrin.gif

"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." - Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by seamus (edited 06-09-2001).]

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

My wife bought her old laptop (the one she used to use in work) for a nominal fee from her employers... granted its a crappy Dell p150 with a 2gig hdd and 40 mb ram but it has a docking station, cd, modem card etc...
    Might be worth condisering such a sub-£100 machine like this (which is still fine for MS office or whatever) and foregoing the warranty - if it dies, trash it kind of thing... maybe this wouldn't suit your relation though..?

Or Something...™

Advertisement