Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet Another Hard Drive Problem

• 04-07-2002 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭

well i was using my 40 gig seagate drive fine in my compaq presario 5186 for the last month with no problems however i took it out and put it into another pc for a lan and everything worked fine execept now when i try to boot up with the hd in the compaq it will go onto the black "loading windows" progress bar and just before it gets to the end the pc will for some odd reason just reboot and go through the same thing again i put it back in the other pc and it works just fine so the hd itself seems to be fine

anyone got any ideas

p.s i`ve checked all the jumper settings and reset the bios defaults

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Well it could be your psu hasn't got the juice for it, or you could be trying to use a molex connector with 8 wires coming out of it, instead of 4 which overloads the hdd and can at times blow it, blew one myself a while ago not being too prudent, make sure your using a molex connector that has no more than 4/6 wires coming from it. It depends on the psu's layout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

aye dont think the psu is the problem it ran the hd and all my other drives flawlessly for the last month so i`d say i have enough juice and it is a 4 wire cable going into it

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Does the other PC work OK as it is with its own HDD? Or does it have a HDD?

I had similar kind of problem before and it turned out to be a faulty RAM stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Id say its more likely to be software related. Install windows again over your old copy.

Advertisement