Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Win2k prob....

• 06-09-2001 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

When I make a dial-up connection, I don't get the little 'connected to blah' icon in my systray... despite my choosing to show it (in the dialup options).
    It's been like this since I installed win2k.
    And it's really wrecking my tits, I can't see what speed I've connected at, and have to use some 3rd-party dialer to disconnect.
    I've searched the MS knowledge-base, to no avail frown.gif
    Has anyone run into this problem before? o_0

Windows 2000 - Professional, Service pack 2, upgrade install from Win98 (original).

SONIC.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Did you use a cd from your ISP or did you install from the net??

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. "
    - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I assume you're talking about Internet Explorer? (Unless ISPs are giving out copies of win2k)
    I'm using the same IE that Win2k probably installed... not sure if win2k brought my old IE5 over from my win98 install.
    I'll check out an IE update and see if it helps, but it smells like a DUN problem :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I am refering to the installation cd from an Isp eg.Eircom,Oceanfree or downloaded from the net eg.UTVnet,Buy&Sell

Yeah, I gathered that, I was just ripping the p!ss.
    I don't use ISP CD's because of all the crap they customise IE with. (200 odd bookmarks that I have to go and delete, custom "provided by blah" text in the titlebar that I have to reg-hack out)
    I've just downloaded & installed IE6 from the microsoft web****e, and it's still happening.
    It all worked fine in Win9x... just went batty since I upgraded to 2k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

go to "Network Connections" in the control panel.
    Get the properties of you chosen connection, and at the end of that tab, is "show icon in the system tray" checked?

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    go to "Network Connections" in the control panel.
    Get the properties of you chosen connection, and at the end of that tab, is "show icon in the system tray" checked?
    </font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa:
    .. despite my choosing to show it (in the dialup options).</font>
    Yep, that's the first thing I looked at... frown.gif
    It's most definitely checked for all my connections.
    Another weird thing, now that you mention it... If I go into that folder that should have my DUN connections, it doesn't show any connections, only the 'New connection' icon is visible, despite my connections being shown in the 'connections' tab of Internet Options.
    The plot thickens.

If it were Win98, I'd reinstall Dialup networking and a whole mess of other cràp... but how is that achieved in Win2k?
    I'm on the verge of doing a clean&full reinstall at this stage.
    /me suspects this comes as a result of a b0rked upgrade?

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 06-09-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nucular

I wouldn't go about full install just yet unless you have the time (to get everything sorted afterwards) or you really want to (because it probably will run a bit better).

I would say this is a problem with the upgrade.

Did you just bring the dialup connection along with the upgrade?
    If you did it could be because the versions of Windows store the connection info in slightly different places.(as far as I remember as it has been a while)

If this is the case it might be worth your while just getting all the settings and creating a new one from Win2k and see if that works. i.e. the Add New Connection Wizard

Sorry I can't provide more useful info
    and I'm still not 100% on any of it.

Hope you get it sorted....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If you go to my computer, dial-up connections and double click on the dial-up connection you are using, the stats etc will come up and an option to allow you to disconnect...

or in network neighbourhod, or wherever the connection is in 2000.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

I know you have already checked the properties but try this, go to start-->settings-->Network and dial up connections and if your connection is there right click choose properties and uncheck the box it says Show icon in taskbar when connected and click ok to exit. Do the same steps and this time check the box. It worked for me it may work for you too..:-) If you don't see any connections listed in Network and dial up connections box it is best to create a new one and tell IE to use the new connection instead of the ones that come with ISP cds.
    Good luck, hope this helps!!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    I tried using the Connection Wizard yesterday to make a new test connection, but it still didn't show up in the DUN folder... yet IE could still see it. rolleyes.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Santy you sexy beast, get back in your hole.

I've seen this happen countless times on machines that have been upgraded to 2000 as opposed to a clean install... it's among one of the many little bugs that accompany an upgrade.

As of yet I've found no easy solution to the problem apart from recommending a clean install from a full version CD.

Microsoft as usual take several years to actively knock niggly little bugs like that on the head...

If you do find a fix for it let me know...

Well after about half-an-hour thrawling though the Microsoft knowledge-base...
    I finaly got it sorted! biggrin.gif
    Hidden in the ars3 of some vaguely related tech doc.
    *winks at his spanky new connecion icon*

Tech doc & instructions for fix here.

Advertisement