Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iain M. Banks

Options
  • 04-07-2002 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Only recently started on his stuff after a recommendation by a friend of mine. His style is interesting to say the least, and I like the concept of the Culture.

Anyone else into his stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Very much so I'm a huge fan. He is my favorite science fiction writer of all time style of thing. I would particularily recommend Excession and Use of Weapons, Inversions is also quite fantastic but I would read it last of all. He hasn't written a bad book as Iain M. Banks though so they are all worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Player of Games has to be my favourite of his works.

You should also check out his Iain Banks writings. Non sci-fi in the "culture" sense and some of it quite disturbing, but very enjoyable all the same. The Crow Road was made into a tv series (never saw it though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the wasp factory is good....hell they are all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have read:
    Ian M Banks
    Consider Phlebas - Very very good
    Look to Windward - superb

Ian Banks
    Wasp Factory - excellent (disturbing) reading
    A song of stone - allright'ish..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Btw: If you like Ian M. Banks, also try Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy.. Might be to your liking with it's culture'esque tales..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Haven't had an opportunity to read his stuff. What would ya recommend for a first read ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yeah I liked the "Night's Dawn Trilogy" but I'm not sure if I'd liken it to Iain M. Banks works. Their styles are very different and the themes addressed are similarily divergent. Also the core ideas behind each "universe" are very very different. Banks is more quasi-science to Hamilton's pure sci-fi.

But I did enjoy both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Originally posted by LoLth
    Player of Games has to be my favourite of his works.

You should also check out his Iain Banks writings. Non sci-fi in the "culture" sense and some of it quite disturbing, but very enjoyable all the same. The Crow Road was made into a tv series (never saw it though).

TV show was brilliant, and the book is in my all time top five. He's never written a bad book, either as Iain Banks or Iain M Banks.

Advertisement