Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question Re: TV-Out on Video Cards

• 05-09-2001 11:57am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got a new card and it's got TV-Out (didn't realise when I bought it).

I'm wondering what the story is with this?

I plug from one to another, tune in a channel and boom! I'm watching my Desktop on d'telly, ya?

I can't ever remember seeing a connector similar to the TV-Out one I got on a television, but I must have a closer look.

Is it as simple as that?

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

They usually only do TV-Out via SVHS (DIN) and composite (phono,yellow) - the exception's being cards that have TV-Tuners built in. If your TV hasn't got either input then you won't get it to work.
    If it does have either one (SVHS being best) just plug it in and switch to the correct channel/input on your TV (eg. Video usually for Composite).
    If you only have scart you can get converters to allow you to plug the normal SVHS/Composite plugs into one end and a normal Scart plug on the other you can put into your TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Depends on your card whether you can see the dekstop or just DVD output.

If you have 2 15 pin outputs (matrox g400 style) then you almost certainly can see the desktop. aka Dualhead (need special cable)

If its a roundy ps/2 style mini DIN or a simple hi-fi style co-ax then probably not (but maybe...depends) aka s-video or co-ax

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thanks for the quick replies folks.

It's one of those PS2-like connections (DIN, yeah?) and that's what confused me, as I've never seen one of them on a telly (maybe I've never looked close enough).

If I can get an adaptor to convert it to scart, then I'm sailing, but I'll look into it.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I never got mine working, the connection wasnt the problem, its that I could never see the infernal picture on the telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, that would be the crunch alright.
    Trying to get even a 640x480@60hz (minimum) desktop on a screen only capable of 512x480@50Hz interlaced (or there abouts for most tellys).
    Course, if you are a rich cúnt and have some s****y Sony WEGA tv then ur sailing. something like 800x600@100Hz interlaced or thereabouts?
    Why the phluck would you want to use a telly to display your desktop when you have 19" monitor?
    Why is the moon blue when I look up?
    How does Santa make it all around the worls in one night? Does he know something lost with the Nazi experimnets in Dachau and Elvis?
    ANSWER MEH GOD/BHUDDA/GHANDASHI/MORK/GORK!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Sounds like you have an S-Video Out on your card Kharn, and yes you can get Scart converters for it, it'd probably just take some looking to find one. I know it took me ages to get one for a mate of mine, eventually ordered it from some barmy electronics shop in the U.K., don't ask me what the name was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

You could always use TV-Out to play games on TV.

A lot of games feel better on TV, particulary Playstation ones! wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I have one of those for my voodoo3 3000, so went into peats one day with the connector and he showed me a scart connector thingie. Course, with no scart on my old telly it wasn't much use... but they have the converter anyway.

Gav

Advertisement