Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magically working ADSL...

Options
  • 04-07-2002 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

For those that don't remember, here's a quick recap on my plight to get ADSL:
    Eircom installed an ADSL modem, splitter, etc etc in my house during the inital public rollout of ADSL a couple of weeks back. The line wouldn't sync and Eircom told me they'd have to get back to me when the problem was resolved. They got back to me a WEEK later, saying they forgot to do a line test and my line wasnt actually suitable for ADSL.

I decided today, just for the craic, to ring up and ask if my line was capable. Surprisingly, it apparently will work now, according to the sales rep (who was actually quite nice didn't really seem clueless or anything). However, the soonest they can turn it on will be 2 weeks from now. Uhhh... huh? EVERYTHING is installed in my house, but apparently they need to do some work to enable it at the exchange? Surely all they have to do is press a button (or two)? How come it takes so long purely to enable an account for ADSL?

In any case, im 80% sure that, two weeks from now, when Eircom turn ADSL on for me, it still won't work. 20% hoping though!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by turiel
    Surely all they have to do is press a button (or two)? How come it takes so long purely to enable an account for ADSL?
    I believe there is some regulatory delay of 10 working days or something to make it fair to companies operating under LLU. I'm not 100% sure on this, though.

The idea behind this is that there are certain timescales associated with LLU requests and Eircom have to apply these delays to themselves as well as companies operating under LLU. Don't quote me on this. You would need to check with the ODTR to be certain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sounds to me more like Eircom screwed up and forgot to install the DSLAM's Skep...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

exact same thing happened to me during the trials at the start of the year. the line wouldnt sync. and then a tech came out and screwed up the whole thing, no dsl or phone. so we had to keep on pestering them. about 2 days after calling them first they sent out an isdn guy. he didnt have a clue about the dsl so he just put the phone line right again. after 2 weeks they finally sent someone who knew about adsl. he called to the door and said that he was going down to the exchange and within 15 minutes of him saying that we had dsl @ 1024 down and 256 up sweet or what. so the moral of the story is keep on bugging them until they get off their arses and do somthing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Turiel

Please keep us posted - as you know I am just around the corner from you and am waiting for you to be a guinea pig before goign through the heartache myself :D

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

just got connected and had no problems. ....everythings wizzing along here fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

heh... started installin a router today for istream... the company being too tight to pay for eircom to do it, so they elected me to do it. So i need some help with config problem, cause ya gotta pay if ya want more than just basic help at eircom as well.

So the router arrives with factory defaults.

Anyway... its mostly working. DSL light is on .. Static ip is on the net etc.. can be pinged... and the router can ping the inside address and the outside address. Everything ok there.

The problem i'm having is connecting to the net with client machines. SUA (single user address, presumably their version of NAT) is enabled. Shouldnt i be able to connect usin the routers lan address as default gateway? I cant ping internet address' through the router, so it aint a dns problem.

Any ideas what i am missing? :confused:

Btw the router is a Zyxel p645r. The configuration seems to be pretty much the same as the rest of the zyxel's, including the one eircom flog to you. If someone could have a look at their router settings.... would be great help. ;)

thanks,

Dalk

Advertisement