Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi-fi/VCR replacement

Options
  • 04-07-2002 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

looking to build a very compact box for the sitting room.
    Must have TV-out, decent sound quality, plenty of storage and be able to play Divxes, DVDs, Mp3s etc at perfect quality while being good looking and *quiet*

Was thinking of a spec like this:
    ~1ghz+ duron/cellie2
    onboard sound+graphics+TV-out (nForce is looking likely or Shuttle flexatx board)
    100Mbit Lan
    ~128/256Mb ram
    200W psu, uber-quiet case
    maybe 5.1 chgannel soud, 4-channel minimum
    120+GB storage, 7200rpm
    quiet DVD drive
    have to be able to control it easily, maybe winamp serial IR mod taken to another level? Wireless keyboard with **** load of macros/web-interface over network for more complex stuff?
    Or just wireless setup with desktop on tv screen when needed?
    I'd like to get this fro about €5-600, not including speakers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you check out the girder remote control software, it will let you use the serial remote setup to control any windows program. I have all the powerdvd functions programmed into me remote. I've also used it to control media player. Then you have 2 buttons to switch between different sets of presets.

I don't think it needs a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

hehhe, cool :)

I really shuold get my ass in gear and get some of these IR things working with the machine.
    Cold cathode, IR remote and LCD terminal are 3 mods on my list.

Advertisement