Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Win2K and Win98 Dual Boot Q's

• 05-07-2002 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

i have win2k installed on my computer at the moment, but there are a few things messed up, so i am going to format. i have a win2k cd, but its a dell recovery sort of disk. i am planing on having both os's. which am i better off installing first, and if its 98, will i be able to install win2k with that disk with another on it already. is there anything else i need to know aswell.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

If you are formatting your hard drive, it would be a good idea to make at least two partitions (using fdisk, or some commercial program like partition magic)
    Install win98 into one partition first, then while running win98, put in your win2k cd. Don't upgrade your installation, but rather do a clean install, also make sure you point this to your second partition.
    When all this is done, voila, you have a dual booting system.

It's not a good idea to have two OS's on one partition.

If you have a big HD, you could make another partition for your apps, then if you need to do a reinstall, you should only need to install your OS

[edit]Just noticed you have a recovery disk - bummer:( - this will usually overwrite your partition - not install. I think your options are rather limited at the moment[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I cant be certain but the Dell disk will wipe everything yes.. but usually there is a win98 or win9x or i386 folder on the cd that you can run the setup.exe or winnt.exe depending on what os recovery cd you have... you can do that without wiping everything.. just dont boot off it.. Again cant be sure!

Advertisement