Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americas Army Demo

Options
  • 05-07-2002 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

I think everyone in the world is dloading this now.
    So on saturday i will post if its anygood ,if i have it by then:(

www.nvidia.com and a few others.
    Kdja

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

All the links are very slow atm

None are moving quicker than 4 K a sec :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

nVidias primary site gives me a healthy 9-10K a sec. I'll have it by tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

am...where do you get these links?
    I was on dial-up last night and couldn't find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The training section of the game (which is compulsory before you're allowed play online) is one of the most tedious things I've ever seen. And some of the training missions are online - so you have to connect to a server in the USA running the relevant training mission and complete it there. Which sucks doubly hard since the servers are always full.

It has potential to be interesting but frankly the Yank flagwaving stuff is sickening, and the online training lark is an utter pain in the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Well the game is designed to recruit people to the US Army therefore Rob you really should expect it to be full on Yankinism (I know that is not even a word ) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

like it then rob?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

DoD this week so ill have to travel into dNC to get that.... Ill try and get Americas Army on the disc too. I dont think my 56k can handle a 200MB download :D

Just to tell you the official site is: http://www.americasarmy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I downloaded it on me 56k , which took quite a while.
    I was wondering when i complete the rifle training and it says log in when i press this it says that user not found , or something like that
    Do i have to be a member of gamespy to get logged in or something

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

i downloaded it and it gave i great big error message when i ran it. Do i need a geforce 3 or 4 to run it?
    Good thing im on a broadband trial so it cost nothing otherwise id be a bit miffed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

BabyEater - you need to create a username and password in the game. I can't remember the exact procedure but it seemed simple enough to me... It's possible that the system for doing so has broken, though. Lots of things about this game seem to break on a regular basis :)

Pertinax - nope, it runs fine on Mills' GF2 from what I can see.

Having done all the STUPID TRAINING RUBBISH, the game itself is pretty cool. Some folk are setting up UK-based servers now, having hacked around and found out how to do dedicated server stuff, although they all seem to be stuck on the one map.

Gameplay is simple enough - there are a limited number of loadouts, which simplifies things, but the maps are VERY well done and there are multiple ways to win most of them as the attacking team, which keeps people on their toes. I love the system which gives you A and B objectives; there's usually only one A objective, and a set of B objectives, and you can finish the map by doing either the A objective or all the B objectives.

The graphics are very nice indeed, the level design is superb and the feel of the weapons is good. It's like a good cross between Ghost Recon and Counter-Strike.

Unfortunately I don't think it has much of a future. Most people who downloaded it won't get past the training. There are a limited number of maps, you have to use either gamespy arcade (spit) or the command line to launch games, and it's a bit rough and ready in places... More importantly, the lack of an official dedicated server could kill this game, which is unfortunate because it's actually surprisingly good.

That said - they spent $7m on this. It's not worth $7m. Two guys in their bedrooms made CS for the price of a few crates of Jolt Cola.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Originally posted by Shinji
    That said - they spent $7m on this. It's not worth $7m. Two guys in their bedrooms made CS for the price of a few crates of Jolt Cola.

This may sound a bit silly, but I just want to say that little sentence added in there is fooking class :)

It's been added to my small file of favourite quotes of all time. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

From what I gather even if you pass the training mission, their servers are backlogged so it could be quite some time. (ref: p2p)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

pertinax i got a critical error message when i started it first.
    Make sure you have directx 8.1 installed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

bloody hell the training is a pain... ya cant even shoot the instructer and get away with it :P

it seems ok though. it will be interesting in multiplayer mode.

Any one know when the server pack is available:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Stokolan
    bloody hell the training is a pain... ya cant even shoot the instructer and get away with it :P

shoot the instructer then yourself :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Can it be played single player only ? With no modem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

err i think u could do the 1st training mission but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

ghey

I've dowloaded the thing 3 times in college.

First time it was 204 megs, got it to my iBook, brought it home and it didn't work, file corrupt.
    I've downloaded it twice agai from 2 different site to make surte

Advertisement