Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick CD-R/RW question - Plextor

• 06-09-2001 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Which one is better/newer?
    Plexwriter 1612A/S(A=internal, S=External)
    or
    PX-W1610TA?
    I have an idea the latter ("last one" for those of ye who haven't upgrade to English Language Beta 7.9 Mark3) is just a spelling error.
    Quoted last one from email sent by Garret in It Direct
    Comments (Gerry ;P)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Some of you people really need to get some Researching Skillz.

I guarantee anyone answering this question wont know both drives off by heart down to the specs and how many 1.2mm washers are contained inside.

So someone will probably have a look around the Web for info and then post it in here; when clearly you could go and do it yourself.

Sorry, it's just been annoying me for some time how unwilling some people are to actually USE the Internet for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Oh and just going by the general Plextor naming conventions, the first drive is a 16X12X40, and the PX-W1610TA a 16X10X40.

Get a SCSI burner with a 16MB buffer, yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Kegser is dead right, stop being lazy. For a start, you could at least fire the model numbers into google. You need to upgrade to web usage final retail version 1.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

LOL

Sock it to him...... or something like that.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

gheheh

unfortuneately your criticism is foundless.
    I've allready check plextor#'s own site
    Gota confusing result.
    its kinda ambiguos <?>
    Anyways, I reckon I've ordered the right one.
    So long as it does 16x/10x/40x and has a jumper on the back that lets it do UDAM33 (so as not sot slow down muy impending second hdd) and has a small fan too, then its the one I'm after.
    I actually did a little more research then you seem to think i'm capable of wink.gif
    www.cdrinfo.com had a few reviews of plextor drives, I also compared them with Aopen, Teac and ricoh.
    Decided on the plextor on elexes advices and my reading somewhere that they're built like tanks (Skuzzy ones at least - which bodes well for the IDE one).
    Thans for the respones though.
    I have an idea the two model numbers are the exact same drive too. That cdrinfo site may have gotten the yankee one, pletor being a belgian company......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

sure you didn't do that afterwards? smile.gif

Anyway, I can only find mention of the PX-W1610 on those sites, can't see anything about a 1612A on them. The reviews give you plenty of info about the 1610A, all the info you will need and more.
    That drive is also rare in needing a dma jumper, most drives have no jumper, and work at dma anyway. Its a case of setting the ide controller to dma, and most cd drives work fine with dma then, mine does. The problems arive with certain chipsets, and incompatibilities with certain cdrw drives in dma mode. These problems have almost all been solved now with chipset driver updates, and firmware upgrades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, the 24x burner that Plextor have out 'officially' suports UDMA33 now. The one I'm getting 'unofficially' supports it, when u use the jumper at the back. two innocent little pins => no slow down.
    There's also a new firmware just out for it too :)

Advertisement