Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Problems

• 07-09-2001 2:14am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I can't play movie's on my dvd drive frown.gif. it was playing movies but now it crashes my machine every time i put a dvd cd in the drive. I've tried reloading my softwre but that won't work either(. i checked the drive settings DMA is ok and the drive runs other cd-roms. The message "smart cable Ultra DMA detected but disabled" appears when booting up. I'm running two OS Win97&W2k of different 2 drive's using BOOTNG does this have any influence?? Please help!!! I've checked the web but I'm still can't solve the problem. Any help would be gladly accepted thanks smile.gif

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. "
    - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

When the machine crashes, is there any error message? (blue screen?)
    Or does the whole screen just lock up as it is and the system stops responding?

Could be some auto-run program causing havok...
    Try holding down the SHIFT key while you insert the disk, that should bypass auto-insert notification.
    Should at least rule out some suspects.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Nop tried that.. and turned off auto but My machine just locks up no blue screen just a freeze AHHHH it's driving me crazy mad.gif

Dma is enabled, Have the latest firmware for model Samsung DVD SD-608
    Have tried Cyderlink 2.0,PowerDVD, ATI DVD player,PCFriendly and still the same.
    Spec: K2-500,128mb,16mbATI Rage Pro/RivaTNT2
    Have shut down every prog except the vitals and still no joy.The mouse pointer freezes and i have to reboot my machine using the reset button. Thanks for any help you can give me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Had a very similar sounding problem with K6-III. Had to DISABLE DMA to get the drive to work....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

hmm you could try installing your ati as a vga pci card and then reinstalling it as an ati, but I was having similar problems with garbled display in windows and the resolution (though you probably don't want to hear it) is that I use xine , and a xine third party plugin to play my DVD's in LINUX yeah?

Windows DVD playback is garbled when I am using my athlon 1.4ghz in fact I will always have to pus the 700mhz cpu in if I want to view in windows (can you believe that?) , also this is windows specific problem not hardware incompatibilities because if it were then I would have playback problems in linux right(duh)?

If you are experiencing problems with both suckblowz9x and worseblowz_nt-xvariant then may I suggest you set all the defaults in your bios ? and failing that jumpering the cmos jumper as no matter how expensive and unstable windows is, it is (probably) unlikely that both will suffer this DVD fault?

So if the video card thing doesn't resolve your problem in 9x then you should probably look at the cmos jumper yeah?

If the jumper doesn't work then it will be probably - DVD or motherboard.

If this doesn't work then it will have to be the drive/ide controller on mobo? biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Have u checked if Dma is enabled?

Get the latest drive from the manufacturers website, check for patches ansd known issues.

What DVD player software are you using? Can you get a copy of a different one and try it.

What is the processor speed of your machine. How much ram have you, and what % of system resources are free?

Post back, and we'll have a look.

X

"Man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle against the urge to punch ‘em in the face, and for what?! For some pimply little puke to treat you like dirt unless you're on a team. Well I'm better than dirt ... well most kinds of dirt. I mean, not that fancy, store-bought dirt. That stuff’s loaded with nutrients. I …I can't compete with that stuff."
    -Moe Szyslak

Am building new machine at the mo, I'm going to take the dvd drive and connect to the new machine and pray....It's just such a load of **** to have to go to all the trouble.

Advertisement